Anchor rope idea

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by smhmc6, Aug 12, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I went out fishing tonight but unfortunately, the outing was cut short. Me and my buddies were just getting to a spot we thought looked good on the depthfinder, we anchored, got a rod or two baited and in the water... then for some reason we decided we would go up river a little more see if we could find another hole. So, my friend in the front of the boat uncleated the the front anchor and was letting out slack so I could pull up the back anchor. Well somehow, I will never understand (I was so mad:angry:), the rope went through his hand and we totally lost the anchor, rope, chain and everything... fishing night was over. I know, I know we probably coulda found a bank to fish from or something, but like I said... I was steaming mad and just wanted to get back home.

Well, we had a long (45 min.) drive back home to either get upset at each other and cast blame or we could brainstorm... have to admit the first 10 min. or so we cast a little blame, but then we started thinking how we could prevent this from happening again. Here's the idea we had.

I'm going to get either one of those water toy noodles or those little floats you see on the deep end rope in a pool. If I get a noodle, I'll cut it about 4 inches long, but either way I will feed the line through it and maybe a washer on the other end. Then I'll tie a knot to keep it from sliding back through. That way if it ever happens again then we can always swing back by and pick up the end of the anchor rope that is floating. I just thought I'd share this idea, simple as it is, so that if anyone else hasn't thought of something like this happening to you... well maybe it will help it to not happen to you.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good idea! :big_smile:

3. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    that sounds like it will work but yu might have two put two pices about two foot apart so if in real swift water it will surface ...just a thought ....

4. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Just carry some extra rope with you. Then find a big rock on the bank. Your back in business.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As Chris mentioned, in swift water it will take more than you think to keep it up. 100' of rope in heavy current will pull a gallon jug under.

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    When I was long line trot lining, four 50 hook lines 100 feet long,I used a medium sized window weight that had about 2" hooks welded to it.
    Drag the snag weight ,aka hoop net drag, behind the boat and it would catch my line. Sometimes by mistake I'd hook somebodys basket or net.
    Once I hooked a loose rope that had a hoop net anchor on the other end.It belonged to my wifes cousins husband. It had been missing for a couple of years.
    You can buy the drags for about 10 bucks or make your own.
    They are pretty handy.

Frankly were I you I'd wouldn't have gone home.I'd have just drug the area with a treble hook and a few heavy fish weights until I snagged your rope.

best of luck
    just

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the additional ideas guys.

Justwannano... you are right about trying to snag it. I guess I forgot to say that we tried for a while, but never could get it. Its lost forever.... I guess I'll chalk it up to lessons learned. There are always things that you just don't think about or assume that they will never happen.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I lost mine when I had to ditch it in the current once. I had a ski marker tied to the end. It was sucked under like a toy bobber in the current. A noodle will not do much for you if there is any current.

I also have the anchor lift by Ironwood Pacific. Awesome! Spend the money once, make your life easier forever to boot!

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    another idea would be to tie one end of th rope to th boat

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

:smile2::smile2::smile2: Guess you mean the tag end of the rope tied to the boat, in case you lose hold of the working portion of the rope?

I used to do that but not since I got my anchor lift last week.

That works also in case your buddy loses his brain and lets your rope go?:0a28:

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I leave the bitter end of the rope tied to a cleat then coil up the rope in a bucket with the anchor chain and anchor on top. When I deploy the anchor, the line feeds out smoothly without tangles, and goes right back in it's natural coil when retrieved. Simple is best.

13. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Haha, loses his brain... that must have been what happened. Thanks for all the additional advise guys. You are all right, what I said wouldn't hold up in "current." I think that the current I experience is on a much smaller scale. I wouldn't even put the boat in the water if there was a lot of current... I'm running a 14 ft. riveted jon boat with a 50lb. trolling motor as my motor. It really is a good set-up for what I do... just doesn't stand a chance in the kind of current that you guys are talking about. So I don't think I'll ever encounter the problem of my float getting drug under... most of the "rivers" that I fish in are inlets to lakes that hardly move at all. Anyway, I went with a deep end rope float.... it will work for my purposes and best of all it was $2. I just wanted to start this post so that if there was anyone out there who hadn't thought of this whole scenario happening to them, that now they will... cause it really sucks, trust me. Also, there has been some great advice given here and hopefully that helps someone out too.

14. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya that what i meant:big_smile:

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    SInce most boats we use have to have a throwable cushion aboard I just tie my cushion on if I have to release the front anchor rope while I unstick the rear or vice versa.SInce I have two cushions I can double the payload but dont fish much in extreme current.Dont sweat it dude, I have personally raised lake levels during times of drought with all the anchors I have lost over the years.I would use one of those bullet shaped floats you can buy for nets etc.Already has the hole in it and come in different sizes.:smile2:

16. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    That is a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

17. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have large clip hooks tied to the end of my 100ft ropes. When we start getting to the end of my line I tell my mates to make sure the clip is hooked to the cleat or I have special Ubolts that I installed for a number of reasons, (including hooking the anchor clips to) I usually have the anchors hooked to them at all times just in case the line should come loose from the cleat.
    I learned the hard way last year from loosing 4 anchors due to various reasons.
    Good luck
    Larry

18. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Unfortunately I have done something similar. I lost mine because the water was deeper than I expected. I watched the end of my rope slip through my hands. So what I done was tie a boat fender to the end so it would no slip through. This would also work in you situation.:big_smile:

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Rigged up one of the power cord hand reels that roll the cord into the basket, it works rather well on an anchor rope will run in 100' in no time and puts it right into the box, works very well got it at a yard sale for $2. buddy liked it so much I sold it to him, because momma and the kido got me an anchor mate for dads day,,,, nothing like pushin the button.