Anchor rope floats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by JAYNC, Mar 19, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just bought some floats to put on my anchor ropes in the event of an emergency or in case I have to throw the lines quickly to go after a monster fish. Has anyone tried this, and how did you like it after you did.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tried what? Throwing the anchor line loose? yep Going after a monster cat? nope, not yet anyhow. :)
    It's a really good idea. Also, if I might suggest, write your name and address on the float, along with something like "Not Abandoned" on the float, just in case someone comes along there while you're otherwise occupied.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    An anchor float is an excelent idea! Sometimes after a storm, huge trees come down the river. If one catches your anchor rode, you could be sunk in short order if you dont have some sort of quick release to an anchor bouy!

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Fishing current there should always be a good knife laying next to the cleat holding the anchor rope.
    I like the bouy idea. it could save some rope and anchor.

5. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Some of us are using 5 gal. jugs on the Mississippi as anchor floats. Takes that much jug in the current.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I use a boat fender, one of those white ones you can find most anywhere. Only difference is, I air mine up till it aint far from exploding, tie it on the very end of my 150' line. I have had to use it only once, but worth every dime that one time. I use "The Digger" anchor. At around $85, I don't want to lose it.

7. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    that really sounds like a good idea. i never really thought about, but i guess it would save you a little money if you ever had to cut line instead of pulling up the anchor.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Usually I anchor front and rear even on Santee and occasionally one of the anchors gets stuck so I tie the rope to my Coast Guard required throwable cushion and toss it out while I work on the stuck anchor.Floats are a good idea and if you are in heavy current like the James a knife is absolutely a must.:)