anchor rope float

Discussion in 'Boating' started by cliff n york, Aug 8, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i don't remember where i read about a device to attach to your anchor rope ( a ball of some kind ) that keeps you from loosing your anchor rope if dropped over board. where can i get one ?

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well if you want one that you can use to pull your anchor too, a really great device by the way, try an AnchorLift by Ironwood Pacific

See it here:

http://ironwoodpacific.com/products/anchoring_mooring/anchorlift.htm

See it in action here:

http://ironwoodpacific.com/videos/AnchorLift.wmv

You can also buy it from the Catfish Safari tackle Shop here on the Boc, support one of our sponsors and probably get it cheaper. They do not have it in the website yet but just started carrying it. Just call Steve or Tina and they will hook you up.

http://www.shop.catfishsafari.com/main.sc

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Those are definitely great to have, but if you're just wanting something so you can let loose of your anchor to go chase a big fish, then come back and reattach your anchor, you can simply use a big jug of some kind. Just remember a few very important things. Of course, you're going to have to use some kind of easy-release attachment for your anchor rope. One of those where you simply wind the rope through in an 'S' pattern is ideal for this purpose. Bear in mind that if you're in a current, you're going to need a jug large enough that it doesn't go under, out of sight. In a fast current, it's not unusual to need a 2 or 3 gallon jug. And most important, after you let out your anchor and attach the rope, coil the excess rope up and tie it very securely so that it won't come loose when you drop it in the current. The best way I know of to flip your boat is to run over a loose anchor rope and get it wrapped around your prop in a fast current. Being now anchored from the stern, the water will come in right over the transom, fill the boat, and it will flip over. I saw that happen once, and it took about 5 seconds once the rope pulled tight. Both guys were wearing their life jackets, and were saved, but everything that didn't float was lost.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The Styrofoam heads that folks put their hair pieces on make good ones.I stuck a Bicycle flag through one with a lead at the bottom.I roughed it up to tie a nylon cord from top to bottom to keep it from slipping and cemented it to keep it from slipping.It often took several to float in swift water.I picked them up in yard sales.

I have often used milk jugs and Clorox bottles tied together by the handles.I fill them with Styrofoam peanuts and scrap.I am also old enough to have and did use the glass "gallon" Clorox jugs for many years for this and jug fishing.You "corked" the glass jugs as they lasted forever but the metal lids rusted out.

I also had some heavy duty 5 gallon fire fighting foam drums with handles that worked great!

The Bright colored "Pool Noodles" work great!Run a light rope through each one and meet the ends on the side.Tie the ends together on each .You now tie as many as you need together top and bottom.Put your info on them and tie your anchor rope on.You can use 1-100 if and as needed for the current.Works great.Cut to size,they have many uses as do the flat toys made of the same material.

Always put your name,telephone number or fishing license number on them along with "Not AbAndoned".Law enforcement will then back you with this info if someone attempts to pull your anchor.If not,you have no proof it is yours or not abandoned.The indelible permanent markers work great for this.Lightly sanding the surface and cleaning it with "PLAIN" rubbing alcohol makes the writing stick better on plastic.

Check your state laws and federal laws for required size and markings of "Mooring Buoy" as you now have.Also,check before you even anchor in navigable channels to fish or leave a buoy.You may be breaking the law by doing so.

Coast Guard,Fish and Game departments and Commercial interest can all be a source of information.That rope wraps around a vessels prop and it is illegal,you are libel for damages and often fines.Be careful and check it out beforehand.

I did it for many years,but there are places that it is illegal to leave such or even anchor in,such as narrow channels.

I got the above info from law enforcement.It is old info and may be outdated.

I liked and found the pool noodles to be great to put snelled hooks,jigs,single hooked baits and Sabiki rigs on with their many hooks.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for the information, its what i was looking for, and some new ideas also

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Pee Wee, when you throw that thing out, do you have to yell mannequin overboard?

Actually that's pretty heady thinking! :wink:

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you're going to use a jug or whatever in a river with a lot of current, just be careful that you use one big enough.

Several folks on the BOC have found out the hard way that what they thought was "big enough" just got sucked under in seconds, never to be seen again... :eek:oooh:

A 2-liter bottle isn't big enough. A life jacket or throwable cushion isn't big enough. A boat bumper isn't big enough. ...

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What ever you do,DO NOT throw a dressed mannequin overboard from a pier with it's feet in a washtub of cement with a cruise ship full of tourist watching.Do not have someone screaming and begging while this is being done.The Florida Port authorities had no sense of humor about such things in the 60's and I seriously doubt if they have more now.Had it not been for some thinking sailors with a rope tied on it,I have all ideas some sailors would have served some hard time.As there was no evidence on the bottom,and evey sailor watching saw nothing at all but the UFO,so it must have been "Mass Hysteria" with the tourist or those little green men from the UFO that we ALL saw that did it.The UFO would explain why there was no body!

I have fond memories of Port Everglades.The sense of humor of the Port Authorities were not one of them.No sense of humor at all.Also very bad tempers!They also do not believe in UFOs no matter how many sailors see them.Very narrow minded folk.

We left quietly and all under threat of arrest from my understanding.We called the local police department and the Port later,and they had never heard about it.Weird!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  10. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    i fish the misipy river down here in misipy ....... i have always used a 5 gallon drum (since i saw 100ft or rope and an anchor disappear 7 or 8 yrs ago with a 2.5 gallon jug) lol ... heavyduty uses a smaller size bouy , but he adds about 10 ft of good trotline cord to the end of his anchor rope ,then ties the bouy to that ..... he fishes the misipy also, and that seems to work well ... i added some trotline cord to my rope too !!! sure makes retrieving the bouy easier , i do know that for sure .......

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I saw that on your bouy the other day coach, but I didnt ask why. is it to cut the current better? Not as much drag i reckon. Mac

12. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The first time I threw the anchor rope in the Miss it had a 2ft long maybe 8inch dia. bumper attached. I found the float in an eddie 10 miles down river a month later. Never saw the anchor or rope again. On my next try I used two 6gal boat tanks tie wraped together and could not see them but could see the current boil over the tanks. I did get those back and now use a LARGE scanmarin bouy.

13. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    You have seen that worm tube kids swim with .I cut off about 6" and slip it on to my rope about a foot from the loop . use a tie wrap to close the end closes to the water .they last about a year so next year swipe your kids toy and wack it .
    be well MULE

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Smaller floats will work fine in slack current areas and lakes but you would be alarmed at what it takes to keep your rope afloat in a BIG River like the Mississippi.

Anchor lifts by Ironwood Pacific are not that expensive. Why screw around tying gas tanks and or multiple jugs together?

Plus the Anchor Lift pulls double duty retrieving your anchor for you and saving you tons of hard work over the course of your fishing excursions.