Anchor, Rope, Chain etc....Advice

Discussion in 'Boating' started by JPritch, Feb 21, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    What do you guys think about this setup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-8-...tegoryZ26446QQihZ009QQitemZ190083309839QQrdZ1

Thinking about getting a Richter anchor from Cabelas to go with it.

Is 15' chain too long, or a good length?

Any other advice you guys could lend on this topic would be great. The boat is 16' if that helps. Gonna do most of my fishing at Kerr, Gaston, Smith Mountain, and the Tidal James.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm not real big on buyin things like this without seein and touchin it. Just off the top of my head the chain looks a bit flimsy. Also ya want a good shackle and connection system for everything.

As far as the chain is concerned I feel that 15ft. is a bit much. I use 6ft. of a good reasonably heavy chain with a 20lb. river anchor in a swift movein tidal river and it works well. The chain is there to keep the anchor down on its side so it gets a good bite. JMO.

3. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya get a3ft piece of real heavy log chain, the chain is for jurkin the anchor loose if its stuck. that long skinny one might not work to good:crazy: get ahold of cabelas and request a boat and marine catolog thy got a good set up inthere that im gunnu get and its not that much more:cool2:

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'll second what George says.
    You need a much heavier chain. Go with some type of logging chain at any major hardware store.

The rope might be a good deal depending on how much and diameter.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Looked like a manila or sisal rope to me, and if so it will rot. You want good nylon or perhaps a poly rope if its gonna be in the water a lot. First place I shop is Wal-marts to see what they have and how much it costs. Then I'll run by Home Depot or Lowes and do some comparison shopping. Then I go to Bass Pros and see how much they are wanting, finally I go to Academy and buy it there. LOL My understanding of the chain was it allows the flukes or lip of the anchor to dig in, securing the boat.

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went and read the description on the ebay listing, rope is nylon and chain is 5/16 galvanized and clevis is stainless. Not a bad deal if shipping ain't outrageous. on the other hand, Lowes and Home depot have 3/8 braided rope for about 11.00 here and 6' of chain less than 10 bucks and no shipping. That is the way I would go.

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya, the chain helps the anchor lay flat and dig in but if it burys itself deep in the sand like it does here in lake erie,a few hard jurks and it helps break her loose:big_smile:plus i think it helps tohave a spliced eye on the end you wont find that at wally world (of the rope)

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    150' is a lot of line...unless you plan on anchoring in deep water, you're unlikely to need that much.

That line is twisted...I only used twisted nylon once, and it kinked and unlaid something awful. Braid is a better choice.

3/8" is a good size...stronger than you need, but a lot easier to handle than smaller lines.

Chain does two things...it's weight makes the pull on the anchor more nearly horizontal, which helps it grab. It also will keep your anchor line from chafing on rough bottoms. More, and heavier is good, but this ain't the JFK:wink: ...about 6' of 5/16" chain ought to be plenty.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah this is what i would do aswell

10. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Joshua, you don't want a twisted rope, it will only get more twisted and knotted up as you use it. As far as 15' of chain is over kill. I use about 18" of chain on my anchor. I also use 5/8 braided rope for my line. I don't know how you plan on pulling up your anchor but, 3/8 rope will play havoc on your hands because of the small dia. Me personally i wouldn't use no smaller than 1/2 in. I use a anchor lift to pull my anchor up and will never use anything else.http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...&parentType=index&indexId=cat21316&hasJS=true