Anchor Roller - Experience/Recommendation?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by SmokinBarrel, Sep 14, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    After having the boat out several times in the last two weeks, I've come to the conclusion that I need an Anchor Roller. I was wondering if anyone has an anchor roller on their boat, and if so, what would you recommend?

The attached picture has several choices:
    A. Which is called a "culpit" or an extension which I could mount the Anchor Roller on. And, it would allow me to add a Capsan (picture - white) later, or a winch.

B. Is a simple Anchor Roller mounted on the front of the boat, or on the diamond plate upfront. (See picture of my boat).

Attached Files:

2. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am making one. I have an Anchor Mate 25 Lb and its needing one bad. I am using two peices of 2X2 aluminum angle with a bow roller off a trailer mounted between the angle peices. The parts are cheep, I looked at a premade piece and it was big bucks that my little boat did not need. Just something to think about for you.

3. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Moriver,
    I was thinking the same, about making one, but don't have the means to weld something together so I can bolt onto the boat.

The anchor roller pictured is about $70. Fairly expensive.

4. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I have been wanting to make on myself. I would be interested to see some pictures of some that have been homemade. And any ideas on making one. Glad you started this post.

5. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You know 70.00 for that peice is not bad. I am just one of those that likes to tinker and if you have a nice boat the homebuilt look might not be for you either.:eek:oooh:

6. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Moriver,

Actually, I thought about the same idea. While in Bass Pro, I saw trailer guides, and thought bought making one myself. The look about the same as anchor rollers. In fact, I kind of like the trailer guides better, a little wider.

Anyway, you're probably right for $70, it's not a bad price. By the time I have my time vested, and material, I'd be hard pressed to make my own.

If I use "A" (culpit), I can mount "B" (anchor roller) to it and that way I only have four (4) bolts in my bow. And, I have extra room to add a winch, or capsan at a later time w/ no additional holes in my bow.

If I go with "B" (anchor roller) solely, and mount directly to my bow, and later decide to add a winch, then I'll be adding additional holes to my bow. I just want to minimize holes in the boat.

BUT, "A" (culpit) sure is big, and would greatly stick out in front of the bow. :confused2:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  7. driftin blues

driftin blues New Member

State:
    mo
    you don't need any of those, all you need is the ironwood-pacific anchor bouy that was mentioned in your other posts. That and a good cleat to tie off to, or what I use is the grabber style cleat where you weave the rope between the teeth of it, and you are set, I am sure your boat has cleats already. I use the anchor lift bouy on my boat and it is a breeze, my dad was convinced it would be easier with an electric anchor winch and after using his in his boat and mine in mine I can honestly tell you that the anchor lift bouy is less work to use. It is a piece of cake. Before you go to drilling all over that beautiful Hughescraft you really need to get together with someone who has the anchor lift bouy and see how easy it is to use. All you need is a good anchor, I use 20ld navy style, a good rope, anchor lift bouy, and a good cleat to tie off to and you have the best anchor set up money can buy, and it is a lot cheaper than the electric, pain in the butt, winches, and IMO easier to use.

8. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Driftin,

Actually, I think I'll get an anchor buoy, but also I need an anchor roller on the front to keep the anchor rope centered on the front of the boat when tied to the bow cleat on my boat, see picture.

Basically, two things I need:
    1. Anchor Roller for my anchor rope on the front of boat. Unfortunately, I do need one. Otherwise the rope just lays on the top of the bow, and the boat tends to swing a lot.

2. Anchor Buoy to retrieve my anchor instead of a winch or capsan.

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen

10. tac eulb

tac eulb Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Question for Driftin Blues. After you have retrieved your anchor, how do you get the buoy back to the end of the rope? I used one for a while. I had to slide the rope all the way back about 100'. Was I missing something here?

11. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    You got it...:wink: :wink:

12. driftin blues

driftin blues New Member

State:
    mo
    Yes you are missing something, you dont take the bouy back to the end of the line. Use a milk crate, you have the anchor line tied to the cleat, or grabber cleat, you fire up, motor around the bouy in an ark, you don't try to plow right over the bouy, it will go down the side of your boat, it will not foul in your prop as you are steering away from it is is sliding down your line towards the anchor, you will see it snug up behind your boat, accellerate a little to pull the anchor all the way up to the bouy, you will see the bouy submerge, put boat in neutral, untie rope from cleat start pulling in rope,drop it into the milk crate, do not coil it, I use 150 ft, no tangles, keep pulling in the rope dropping it into the milk crate, the bouy will be floating the anchor, you will pull it right up to the front of your boat then lift the bouy, and anchor which will be secured together by the pipe slide with the bolt in it, drop anchor and bouy into milk crate on top of your rope. Then you move to the next spot, pick up anchor and bouy, hold anchor in left hand, slide bolt back through pipe with right hand, drop the anchor and it slides right to the bottom pulling rope out of your milk crate, let out enough for proper scope, then drop bouy over side and tie line to your cleat, repeat with ease. Sounds complex but in practice it's a breeze. There is absolutely no need for an anchor roller. Save that small front nosecone for a trolling motor, much more useful than an anchor roller.

13. tac eulb

tac eulb Active Member

State:
    missouri
    To Driftin Blues. This all sounds good in theory. You can "what if" everything to death. It still escapes me how your method is easier then a winch. I drop and retrieve the anchor from the comfort of my seat without ever getting up except to fish.

14. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    This is all good till something big gets hung up in the line and you have to break free. With the Winch you can't do anything but cut the line then you have to loose fishing time placing the now shoter line back on the winch. With the ironwood-pacific anchor bouy you just break loose fron the rope mount and you are free you then can go back and get all the line back and the entire anchor set up. PLus you can do that in a blink of an eye just about the time you have to react some times in that event.

15. driftin blues

driftin blues New Member

State:
    mo
    Compared to a winch, this sytem does not require a BATTERY, which will often fail at the wrong times, does not have your expensive anchor attatched to a 1/4 inch rope, which when the battery fails will chew your hands apart trying to retrieve that expensive anchor. It also offers you instant quick release from dangerous situations, which no winch or roller type set-up offers unless you are willing to sacrifice the anchor and cut the line, then buy an anchor and spend a day respooling your motorized winch, or just uncleat, float free from danger, or after that big fish, then come back and pick up your anchor. When you come back all you have to do is approach the bouy from the up current side and then there is no chance of fouling the prop, just motor back up river above the anchor bouy, float down to it pick it up and go. Cheaper, safer,much faster and better than any electric winch set up I have seen.

16. tac eulb

tac eulb Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Driftin Blues. Sounds like you pretty much have yourself talked in to your retrieval system. I started my last post with "you can what if everything to death". Meanwhile, I'll kick back and enjoy my winch.

17. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
  18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Like Doug said just put a cleat dead center on the bow. All this talk of winches and rollers who needs the extra stuff. My boat stays center to the anchor and I can pull the anchor faster by hand then all the winches I have seen. Except for maybe them speed winches that they use on crab pots.

19. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Looks like it only holds 50 ft of rope????????

20. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Okie,

Yes, it is 50' of rope. But the guy has 100' configuration. Actually with the 100' configuration they're getting close to 200' with special rope, I think it is 1/4" Parachute cord, or something like that.