Anchor Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by jconna, Jan 11, 2010.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Another question possibly someone can answer for me. Did some searches first but this is possibly a little more specific. We fish out of a 24' pontoon and of our two trips so far are completely unable to anchor in the deep water channel off the smoke stacks (Dutch Gap). Only way we've ever been able to hold in that section is to tie off to the bumpers and with tide changes we really need to keep an eye on that as well as it's simply not the optimal position. Up to this point I've used Richtor and Fluke anchors with around 100' of rope and chain. Will hold for a bit but we always get pushed past before too long. Upping it to 200' of rope this year but was wondering if possibly the river anchors may do us better. May be a losing battle with the current the pontoon grabs but worth the question. At $50 apiece for a 30 lb anchor though figured I'd ask opinions before picking anything up.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Try a wreck anchor and double the amount of chain you use.

3. Here-Fishy-Fishy

Here-Fishy-Fishy New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I was having the same problem in holding my 21' Sea Chaser on the Potomac. Had a 45lb Richtor, but didn't work changed to a river anchor 30lb which is seeming to work. Put over plenty of rope you very well may need 200' depending the depth your fishing. ( example if your fishing in 40' of water you need to put over 120'+ rope)

4. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    WOW! 45lb....30lb. I have a 22' skeeter with a 13 lb danforth with 100ft rode and 5ft chain. I was hoping that would be enough for the James...maybe I should re-evaluate....

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I never use more than 100 feet of rope but I don't fish some of the super deep holes either. Mostly 30 feet and less. I am a firm believer in using lots of anchor chain. 10 foot isn't too much.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I can vouch that this setup works well on a pontoon in deep water.

I use a river anchor and carry 200 ft of rope and about 6' of chain for my 16' center console. Works great too.

Are you verifying you have a good set before tying off? If you can pull the rope its not dug in good. Keep letting out more rope, and if you pull and it wants to pull you back, it's in!

7. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    In the river up here in my 16' Jon Boat I typiclly let all of my slack out the back. Drop the front anchor and then pull the back anchor tight to hold me good and steady. Never move an inch so I don't know why I never did the same down there. Guess I was thinking 24' pontoon in fast current it would be an impossibility. I understand I shouldn't drop a front anchor in a larger river (Susquehanna is a much smaller shallow river so not a problem up here). I'll be sure to use that method this year and thanks for the reminder. Will also up my chain to 10' as suggested and found a good site to make up some wreck anchors. Will be purchasing a 30# river anchor for the trip also so hopefully one or all of the above will get me set.