Anchor Or Drifting For February Catfish ????

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by krowbar, Jan 26, 2008.

1. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Anchor Or Drifting For February Catfish ??? I haven't done much catfishing in February but have heard that February can be a very good month for catfishing. Which method do you prefer in February and why? How deep do most people fish in February? What bait do you prefer? Any tips for February catfishing would be much appreciated.

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    depends on the water cond. here dont know about your area

3. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I do both if the wind is to much for anchoring i'll pull the drift sock out. I fish live bait and cut in feb. the fish will tell you what they want that given day.I like to anchor on my best spots but if I can't catch a fish I use drifting to cover ground kind of like searching for them.

4. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    for me it depends on if there is good current or not. If there is good current I prefer to anchor. If there is little to no current i prefer to drift fish. actually the drifting in the winter will be new for me to. this summer when there was no current on the ohio, i hammered the blues drift fishing. You could cover more ground when drifting and take the bait past them so to speak. Im not sure if it would work the same way in the winter time or not though. havent had the chance to drift here cause there has been current out the wazzzuuuu here. kinda wish it would go to little to no current just so i could try the drifting. Hope some other folks chime in here because i would like to here from someone who has drifted in the winter. I know on Santee Cooper resevoir they drift fish all winter and they absolutely tear em up. That is definetly different from the big ohio river though.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    both ways will bring you success...you can catch fish in 5 foot of water in february so don't think you just gotta fish deep although sometimes anchoring in deeper water near the channel can be really good in cold weather too...drift fishing works all year round so it is always worth puttin in a few hours of drift fishing to see if the fish want it that way or not that day...just remember when drift fishing colder water to slow your drift down to a crawl...i like to go so slow that my gps registars 0 for my speed where as in the warmer months drifting at .4 to .8 is fine...and for bigger fish stick with fresh cut bait...shad, perch, bream, etc.

6. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It'll be February before I get a chance to go catfishing again. Never fished for them in February. Definitely going to give them a try. Thanks for all the tips and keep them coming.

7. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I like to anchor. I figure baits need to soak longer to put the scent out and draw the cats outta their holes. I'll hit spots I know hold fish usually and move every hour "ish" depending on time of day.... Also lets me hunker down in the boat and stay as warm as I can!!..LOL!

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jason, I've actually attempted to put together a short article pertaining to winter catfishing the lakes. I sent it to Whistler a couple of days ago, but haven't heard anything back from him yet. If I don't get something soon, I'll just put it in a post. All of the above information is great, though, and can be applied on any given day, but things can change a lot this time of year from day to day, so you need to have a Plan 'B'. :smile2:

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Tommy, that article sounds interesting. Let me know when you post it or where I can read it. I've read alot of good posts from you. Very informative. Do you work for the DNR?

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Jason. I have learned a lot (I think?) from others since becoming a member of the BOC, and I enjoy being able to pass on some of it to others if I can be helpful.
    I retired early from the paper industry a few years back, and got an opportunity to work for DNR, in a "temporary" position, for the past year or so, helping with research on sturgeon, primarily; also involved a little with some other projects. I hope to hang with this as long as I can. It's just the kind of work I should have been doing all along, maybe. :wink:

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i have caught them tied up on a bank or tree and casting out. or if you see fish schooled up on the fishfinder and its calm wind we have spider rigged (fishing straight down) over them. and last year in january we drifted in truman lake with vacummed packed shad we had in the freezer and did real well that day on shad heads 2 fish in the 20s and 1 in mid 30s and 3 small 2-6 pounders. so it just depends the water your fishing river or lake and how tight the fish are schooled up in deep or shallow water feeding on bait. keep in mind blues move with the bait alot. they are not like flatheads that just lay up in same spot most of the winter.

12. andrew492

andrew492 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    WOW:smile2:. This is ful of good information.

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Roundhill told me back in the summer Start Drifting and he hasnt told me to stop yet.LOL I never have drifted in the winter either but it has still been workin so I aint planning on stopin. I do know the water temps are low but when they start climbing near the end of Feb the fish are going to be searching out the flats, if there is any. I sure hope the water is up around those cypress trees in time for that cause there is nothing like catching fish in 1-3ft of water.

14. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Hey rivercatsc Im hoping to get back to the lake to try out my new drift sock
    let me know if you have a day off this week if you want to go.

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Will me and my wife are heading down on saturday. I will call you with the details. Glad you got the new sock.

16. rookietocatfish

rookietocatfish New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for all the info fella's I will use some this on my next trip

17. longbow310

longbow310 New Member

State:
    sc
    I can only drift fish because i dont have a boat.(I fish from a dock)

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Drifting will work any time of year, but in the winter you need to make a few adjustments.

First, slow down. The metabolism slows in the fish and this means they react a little slower. Keeping that bait near them a little longer will help out with the strikes.

Second, and this is hard for me, reduce the bait size. For me that usually means going from 7/0 hooks to 5/0!!! Today I am trying to reduce them even further by going down to 2/0-3/0.

The funny thing is that I remember a time when I thought 3/0 was big!!!

I still like to anchor, and I have caught most of my bigger fish anchoring, but you can not argue with the repeated success of guys like Roundhill that repeatedly catch good fish drifting.

19. cyncitycat

cyncitycat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i mainly just drop anchor ive tried drifting im just not to good at it would like to learn but, don't know to many people in this area that drift fish so i guess im on my own.

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    To follow up, I fished with some small rigs today and small baits. The 2/0 and 3/0 hooks did a good job on the 6-7 pound channels. The baits seemed to be taken a little better than last week, and there were less "dropped baits" and more hook-ups. Of course there are a lot of factors that come into play, but overall the smaller set-up did not have an adverse effect that I could see.