Anchor mate?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Bigones, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was just wondering what yall thought of the anchor mate system? Do yall think it is worth th 50 bucks they want for it? Just wondering if anybody has one and what they thought.

2. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I had one front and rear on my boat. Wouldn't hold a big enough anchor to hold me on the waters I fished, and the rope tried to wind up under the reel and jam.. I junked it. IMO not worth the $ or trouble.

3. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Dennis thats kindda what I was thinking. I think they are more for small lakes without much current. Not for the river which I mainly fish. It just looked handy when I seen it. Thanks for the advice

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Dennis, I had one on my flat bottom and it worked great on the Republican River which is not much more that a large crick. The water wasn't very deep either. Occasionally I'd have the same problem you did, the rope would get hung up and wind up on the reel backwards. For a light fishing situtation they'd be okay. I didn't put one on the Catoon, mainly because it couldn't hold enough line for anchoring in Milford Lake.

5. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
  6. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I absolutely agree, that anchor retrieving system from Ironwood Pacific is really worth every penny. There is a very short learning curve and you are good to go. It even serves double duty and will act as a bouy if you ever have to "leave" your anchor fight a fish.

7. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Very interesting never heard of that before. Are they hard to get used to? Do you use the lift one or the ring? Do you keep it attached to the line at all times or only put it on before you are ready to bring anchor up. Also if you threw line in to fight a fish what would keep it from sliding threw it to the bottom. Thanks

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Tim I use the locking kind and have a 300' line and keep it on it all the time. What you do is when you get ready to drop your anchor, hold the lock mechanism in one hand (hold the bolt back) and drop your anchor and let the rope slide through the LM and let it keep sliding until you get to where you want to be and then throw the buoy over board. Don't drop it as soon as you drop your anchor because, it will be to much of a angle on your rope to let the anchor dig in. Always drop it right in front of your boat. When you throw your rope over to fight a fish your rope will not come out because the current is pushing against the buoy keeping the LM locked on to your rope. It doesn't take long getting used to...