Anchor Ball?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by misterwhisker, Apr 1, 2009.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I didn't know where to start this thread, maybe one of the mods can help.

Anyway, does anyone use anchor balls and what are the benefits, price, ect????:confused2:

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Look up Metalman (Winston), I do believe he has one and I think he's quite fond of it.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i've never owned one, but i beleive they're made to make it easy on the anchor man pulling the anchor. instead of pulling anchor the ol' fashioned way, you use the boat to pull the anchor snug against the anchor ball then just pull in the slack line.....

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Im thinkin that they serve different proposes:confused2:..but one exsample would be...like, When river fishing and one was to have a biggun on and needed to release from the ball to be able to fight the fish with the current instead of against it, with out much stress on the gear (Im talkin big fish)and be able to come back to the same spot, and simply hook back on...I dont know :confused2:...HELP...???

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does anyone have the web page to order one of these ball system. I have seen it posted but have misplaced it. I'm also interested in one but need to look as size recomendations.

6. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use one all the time and am also quite fond of it. A word of warning though. In a place with alot of current it is possible, and not hard to, sink a boat using one. They are safe if used correctly. I suggest that you go with someone that uses one to learn the basics. I'll be glad to take you but you'll have to come a little further south. I use mine to pull the anchor and use it to chase down a big fish. Like said if there's a big fish on, I just remove the anchor rope from the cleat and let the ball float. The boat will then drift back to the fish. After landing the fish, motor back to the ball and return rope to the cleat. NEVER leave a tag end loose in the water without something to float it as well. For instance if you were motoring back to the ball after landing a fish and were to run over the rope and get it hung in the prop and kill the engine, then as soon as the rope tightens ( which happens awfully fast) the boat will spin around backwards and a boat anchored from the prop in fast current won't stay afloat long. I have fished areas that require 25oz of weight to keep baits on the bottom and in that type current my ball will barley stay above water. Any current less than that is o.k. though.
    The brand ball I use is Scanmarin. It was the next to largest one Memphis Net and Twine had. The other part is an Anchor Lift from Ironwood Pacific. I bought mine from Cabelas. The ball was $61.55 plus shipping and the lift was @$20. The ball I bought is supposed to float 198lbs. I first ordered the cheaper thing that cabelas had with a ball and a ring but knew it wouldn't work as soon as I opened the box. I now use the small ball from Cabelas to float the tag end of the rope. If I didn't fish stronger current and use such a heavy anchor(33-58lbs) I'd just tie a large bouy or tank of some kind on the end of the rope and pull the anchor by hand. I hope this helps. PM me if you need to.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Paul, I thought it was a little gimmicky when I first seen one lol. But I got to use one first hand last year on Ram Rod's boat on the Ohio. Very simple to use, will pull your anchor up to the ball (using boat). Then you can pull in the rope with just two fingers if you want. No more pulling the boat upstream in heavy current all day long when the anchor is dug in good. Saves a man's back for fighting fish. I would recommend one for anyone. Great tool.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one it works like a charm. Even if you don't use the boat to pull up the anchor that ball and anchor lift will still make it much easier. If you like to stay anchored in one place and let out more rope to move a little further down the anchor ball is a nice way to let anyone else out there know where you are anchored.

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
  10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois