An Invitational Bragging Rights contest With Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by jolie, Aug 29, 2008.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Howdy,

Over in Pennsylvania we have had the tradition of running Bragging right Contest of catching large catfish between the Eastern and Western sides of our state.

I have been in charge of the Channel catfish part of that contest. Recently, the Eastern guys have been pulling away from the west. I was impressed by how many large channels some of those guys catch.

it is even more dramatic with the flatheads. Flatheads are native to the western rivers; the Three rivers that make the Ohio... but they have been spreading recently in the susquehanna and schukyll waters near the two other cities of PA (philly and harrisburgh). Right now that contest is like 46-17.

I think it would be cool for our state to join forces and take on a tougher competitor. Ohio has a national reputation as having quite a lot of catfish.. would you guy be willing to join our contest??

I am interested in there would be participation from this forum. Even more important is a volunteer. It is not easy to govern a in-state contest. you need to keep track of the score and persuasively settle any certainty on what counts and what doesn't. not everyone carries a camera, not everyone has a digital gauge.

But with a Between state contest. one person would need to keep TRack of the state total. there would need to be some posting between the states to keep people updated.

personally, I've been doing this for a while...its a pleasureable chore. people appreciate you keeping track and you keep a record of all the Hawgs...

Ohio do you have some interest and a volunteer. I propose the contest to start Sept 1 and end on Nov 30.
    my current contest is a 7# OR 27" limit. while it is not the 10# number people mentioned in the big fish page.. it is big and allows participation from some areas that might not have the bigger channels (my Pb is still at 6#6).

on our end we can't say yet whether we are offering to compete you with flatheads. other people have moderated that specific bragging rights contest. (i personally don't get too much involved there 'cause they are no flatheads in local waters for me)...

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would be more than glad to fish in this Jolie, if the other brothers in Ohio want to join. I recieved your email, however, im not interested in keeping up on the thread and scores between the states for our state. I have alot going on right now. If some others here would be interested in a channel cat contest, and someone willing to take on that responsibilty i will sign up as well. Sounds like fun. I need to find out the rules on this first though...rollo

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Sounds fun. If it starts Sept. 1st, we better hurry up and set the rules, what counts, and what doesn't. I could keep track of stuff- no problem.

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    sounds like some fun,and hopefully friendly comptition :roll_eyes:

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I want in on fun but dang it I live in IOWA & fish the Sippi and its no fair(LOL):wink::smile2:

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Wonderful there is definite interest in my state too. espacially with flats...:wink:

rules are negotiable.. but rather straitforward
    channel 7#+or 27"
    flatheads 25#

no trots,snagging, jugging, or noodling...not cuz I'm being snobbish but They're illegal in PA and would give the one state an unfair advantage.

Anglers must be a BOC brother . with ONE exception. if a BOC brother takes a kid on a fishing catches a qualifying fish on a fishing trip, it can be counted.

no picture needed but suggested.

sept1-nov 31. three months. the state wins if it gets the most fish. honerable mention for the most fishermen. personally I will keep track of each qualifying angler and update it on the thread "Invitation fall catfish contest"...

blues can't count cuz we don't have any (YOU GUYS are SO lucky)...

neocats is the last word what counts and what doesn't...

Let me make the thread and I will post it here...
    Wonderful, I'm juiced already. I've gotten too know most of the PA real well. I look forward to watching you guyz use you skills in the new contest.

tight lines. (watch out for the skuke fishermen in Philly, they are formidable fisherman, I think I would volunteerily die in air, rather than try to eat near their favorite honey spots:wink:)

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds great Jeff. I would suggest just starting a thread for this here in our ohio forum to get things going. hopefully a lot will participate, i see PA boys are looking forward to whippin up on us, lets show them what a bullhead looks like:smile2::wink: rollo

8. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    oh yeah.. two thoughts from the boyz in PA.

first paylakes are out. yes, I really must insist. I'm sure you need skills to catch cats in them, but the fish have unfair advantages.

we'll draw the line at what is and what isn't a paylake by saying. that a qualifying lake or pound must be open to the public without charge, and the fish must be freely raised... no feeding the cats (except when you catch them of course :smile2:)

there's sentiment in the west that 25# is too much. 15#? what do you guyz think?

as a basis for comparision.

our state record channel is 35# 7# is one fourth of that.
    our state record channel is 45# 25# is over one half of that

so by that the size does seem big- yes...

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I'll talk with jolie and then make a post with all the rules we agree on.

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I guess you mean the flathead record is 45#. LOL
    Ohio's channel is 37# and the Flathead is 76+#

Not to worry, no one on here hardly ever catches a flathead over 25# so it should be fair enough. The channels on the other hand will have a lot on entries to keep up with.

11. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I must be one those hardly anyone guys. I have 1 over 50 lbs, 4 40-50 lb, and at least 10 30-40lb this year alone. 25 lb and under and I think about putting it back on for bait.:smile2:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    luvin it!!! lets kick some ace! rollo

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I aint fished since my back surgery, been laid up since late may.

I was planning on hanging it up for the year.

Now ya done got me all rilled up:wink:

I will be back on the water soon.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If any of you PA guys haven't figured it out yet, You already lost.
    If you don't believe me, feel free to run your mouth on the Ohio vs PA smack talk section, lol.

If you didn't see it back up and get that sheep off your face.

15. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
  16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
  17. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.