An Inheritance

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SassyManxLady, Mar 9, 2007.

1. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    I guess I am the one out of all of my siblings that is carrying on my grandfather's fishing tradition. When my aunt in Black Rock, Arkansas passed away 3 years ago, we were there for the services, and my uncle asked me if I ever got to go fishing anymore. My brothers Rob and Dan got down on that one and laughed. They went onto tell Uncle Sleepy, how if you wish to find me on the weekends, just check the area lakes. Dan went on to say that if I couldn't make it to the lake that it wouldn't surprise him one bit to see me fishing in a mud puddle on the watering trough.
    Uncle Sleepy then took me out to his garage, where I was in 'fish heaven'. For inside this garage was all kinds of trot lines, hooks, gaff hooks and EVERYTHING the fisherman might need and some he would never use. He and I set there for hours just looking at things and telling the other how we did this or that while fishing.
    Uncle Sleepy passed away last year and while there for the service, I took one last walk out to that garage to look around. My cousin found me as I was reaching down to picked up an ole weight Uncle Sleepy had to use, to sink the end of a trotline, and I showed her and asked her if she knew where that had come from. She told me she didn't, but had just assumed that her daddy had made it. I turned it upside down and showed her our grandpa's initials on it. Right there on the bottom were the letters “P. E. P”. She was shocked and she asked me how I knew these things. I told her how Uncle Sleepy and I had spent hours in that garage and he had told me of the things he had, how he used them and where he had gotten them. She then went on to explain then, how the letter she had found in the family Bible, then made more sense. I asked her what she was talking about. She then showed me a letter she had found the night before, explaining to her how Uncle Sleepy had wanted me to have his fishing tackle. He had guns, for he was a avid hunter as well, and how he wanted the guns to go to her son, his grandson.
    I didn't want to take the tackle, for I felt it belonged to her and her children. In fact, I got somewhat ugly about it, and even refused to take it. Lot of good that did me, for when I went to get into my car to drive home, I saw the big ole frog gig, handle and all in my back seat. I hollered for Janie, but she just waved and wouldn't come to the car.
    It was hard on all of us, so I just accepted it and decided okay, I will take the frog gig, and started the drive home.
    I drove from Black Rock AR all the way to Mammoth Springs AR, where I HAD to stop at Fred's Catfish House. Not a member one of my family can pass though Mammoth Springs Arkansas without stopping at Fred's. Dan, my brother and I got out and we went in and had the large catfish platter each. After getting done, we ordered up the 20 piece catfish only plate and had it fixed to go. We made it all the way to West Plains, MO before we decided we needed to get into that catfish again.
    Well the 20-piece catfish platter took us the rest of the way home, where we both jumped out of the car to run inside to 'water all that catfish'. Dan beat me inside, so I just stopped off at the water hose and watered myself.
    As we were unloading the car, I got into the trunk, and there was a trunk full of all of Uncle Sleepy's tackle. I set down right there in the gravel drive way and cried. Out came Darrell and asked me what was wrong, but I guess out of the corner of his eye, he saw all this tackle and went gaw gaw. He would reach down and pat me on the head, as if I was a good pup or something, and with the other hand pilther through the tackle. Immediately it dawned on me that I was going to have to fight this man to leave MY tackle alone. I gave all the rod and reels to my bother Dan, including the fly rod.

I now go to the lake, complete with Uncle Sleepy's and Daddy Pearl's fishing tackle, trotlines, hooks and weights, and set my lines and set back and wait to go and run them. And my or my that ole Truman Lake never let's me down. Darrell will just set back in the boat and watch me.

I'm not a professional nor do I most of what I was taught correctly, for I usually end of messing up somewhere along the line. If my aim is good with the gaff hook and DON'T hit the boat instead of the fish, I usually end up falling in the lake head first. Or I will just give up on the gaff hook and stick my hand inside the cat's mouth and haul him in that way. For there are times that I simply don't take the time to haul a cat into the boat the way other's seem to think it should be done. But it never fails, somehow or someway, each and everytime I go to the lake and run lines or just fish out of the boat, I end up falling into the lake. Darrell keeps saying that I don't have to fall in the lake to get wet to catch a fish. But he does ask me before we get into the boat, just if I plan on falling in before we set the lines, after we run the lines or somewhere in between:roll_eyes:

Sassy :0a20:

Attached Files:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That was a very heartwarming story ,Becky thank you for sharing it.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Nice fish, but I thought you were gonna show us the fishing tackle. lOL

4. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    I have to keep the tackle hidden. That husband of mine seems to think that the words, "for richer or poorer, in health and sickness" INCLUDES my tackle!!!

Beck

5. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That really is a great story, Becky. Thanks so much for sharing the history of that tackle with us and congratulations on catchin those fish!

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    A VERY HEART WARMING AND TOUCHING STORY. KEEP FIGHTING THE HUBBY AWAY FROM THE TACKLE. LOL

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    thanks Becky - a real heartwarmer

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Becky I have over a thousand dollars worth of tackle and all of it together is not worth anything compared to what you have. Thanks for the story, Peace be with the fisherpersons in your family.

Sometimes life is special
    Danny

9. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Thank you for your thoughts, it was a nice story, keep fishing sweetheart.

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Excellent story. The tackle went where it will be used with fond memroies!
    Bill

11. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Becky, I enjoyed your story and I hope you continue to catch those big fish.:smile2:

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Becky what a great story and thanks for sharing it with the BOC. Use it proudly that is what he would have wanted. Thanks for the Memories.:big_smile: