An immeasurable value and an inspiring thing to witness.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, May 8, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Last month I went walleye fishing with a man who delivers packages to the store I work at, his son, and a buddy of his. I was a guest on his boat.

Although the fishing was good and we boated a bunch of nice keepers, one thing was solidified in my mind. The relationship between a father and a son that I was a witness to.

The boy was 10 or around that age. As all boys are, "Junior" was just happy to do something adventurous with a bunch of men and to be a part of the group. Never once was he spoken to as a boy that day. Not once were words made smaller or was he reminded of his diminutive status among adults. Instead what I saw was an amazing scenario:

From the moment we pulled into the docking area, "Senior" began speaking to his boy. Educating his son. Between small talk with us, he talked his son through the docking process, the checklist of boat safety, personal safety, and every single step of gettinga boat in the water and starting the engine. It didnt end there.

As we waited in line to get out of the marina, it continued to flow from father to son... Keeping distance, respect for other boats, the no wake zone, Buoys and their meaning. Even though this man and this kid go out just about every weekend and the kid was repeating the rules and words to his dad, dad went through them like clock work.

Dropping jigs in the water, "feeling the bottom" while jigging, hook placement- it was a constant stream of information magically dancing off the father's tounge and being sponged up by the syllable somewhere in Junior's head.

All day long dad asked "how does it feel?", "Are you memorizing the touch of the bottom through the rod?", questions that gto through the mind of every good fisherman on their own who have experience were being put to words, challenging the son to gather that information and carve it into memory. Each time the kid got a fish on, dad handed the camera to his friend, snatched up the net, and began the praise- lifting this kid up verbally.

I was awestruck.

It made me remember the many trips my grandpa and I went on. Remember the days when I was the sponge for information.

Saturday night on the Quannacassee river, Dreamcatcher, Hear Kitty, and I were anchored of a hole and carrying on a conversation, when a boat putted past. Off in the distance we heard, "Hey- you guys look familliar. Are you from the Catfishing Website?"
    "Yep!" One of us called out.

Sure enough it was a man and his boy. "Michigan Dave" and his son had popped out for a day of catting, and recognizing us from last year and from lurking on the michigan forum!
    The puttered over in their AWESOME 16 foot Deep-V, and showed us the fish they got, shared their experiences of a day out a mile and a half offshore in Saginaw bay, and lo and behold, the boy and his dad together recorded every detail of the trip from water temps and GPS to bite times, to sizes and weights. I saw immediately that this guy and his son were true boat partners- both meticulous in how they kept their vessel, how the handles their fish, and the detail they wrote down. It filled me with wonder at the value of a father and a son learning from each other.

Guys... there is something magical in the thing that I have seen and it is hard to describe, but you know it when you see it. There is something eternal. This is something that I saw will cement their bond as a family. The forging of a friendship among a father and a son and the message passed on is all-too-rare these days in the land-lover's world. Im glad to say I had the experience... the rare treat of watching a man and a soon to be man as one unit.

To all of you who fish with your kids or fish with your parents, I salute you. What better way to enjoy nature???? What better way to firtilize the mind???

I cant help but think of the kid with the ipod or the PSP or Game Boy.... alone in that little self-made world with little interaction betweeen the real and the created images of a computer. By comparison, is the electronic game going to give this kid the fire in his belly to be a contributing steward of nature and of humankind? I doubt it.

You hear all the time of kids blasting out at the world. From attacks on their high school to gang relation to lashing out at their parents, to bad words or poor behavior or ridiculous choices in clothes.... I have to wonder if at any time in their lives they experienced the same sort of things I was a witness to....

Pehaps I am naiive but in my meager observation, the boys I have seen on boats with family have all been upstanding people. Contributing and thinking young people- and I contend that the connection between them forged IN the boat is not only continued in the home, but moreover their maturing process is celebrated!

That young teen son of Michigan Dave's shook my hand and didnt even know me. HE offered the handshake. I cant say that of any kid that runs up and down the halls of the building I work at. Generally speaking some days its like watching a pack of Dingoes around here.

Its been a great weekend. A lot of good good things happened.

sal

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Sal I would have to say your so right. When I go with my oldest he wants to know everything right then and there, I try to tell him as much as I know but he is 7 and wanders off a little LOL. Some of the BOCers have met him and he is a very good kid. I cant wait till I can get both of my boys out consistantly and teach them the love of fishing (even if its for Bass LOL).

3. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    I got a compliment the other day. I buy boat gas at a little bait/tackle/gas/ place and the owner there is always helpful with info on what the fish are biting on and he is usually right on. He told us this day what the crappie were biting on and even told us what area to fish. So, me and the wife and all three kids, ages 15, 13, and 11 are on my 18 bass boat crappie fishing and here comes the guy from the gas station. I felt kinda bad about being on one of his spots, but he never mentioned it, asked how they were biting, pulled up a respectable distance from us and proceeded to catch fish too. Saw him the next day and didn't have the kids with me, he complimented me on taking the kids out even though the boat was crowded, he said it looked like opening morning at a trout park on my small boat with five people slinging jigs, lol! He said that's why he tells me where to go, he loves to see people taking their kids and family out. Made me feel good. Boog