An ideal fly fishing setup.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Carp King, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I want to Know where i can get a cheap fly rod outfit to start me off in fly fishing. I want to try to fly fish for carp and need a an affordable setup for my first try. Any Advice?

2. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I am relatively new to fly fishing and haven't fished for carp, myself. But here are some thoughts. I would imagine you would need a pretty sturdy set-up for carp---something like a 6 wt rod. You can get some decent setups from Cabelas, Bass Pro or Dick's Sporting Goods for like $50-$60. They come all set (rod, reel, prespooled with backing and fly line). You might have to buy some tapered leaders, though. My first one was a 5-6wt 8ft rod, Cortland brand. I like it a lot. Good thing about these sizes are that they are pretty versatile---You can go for lots of species of fish with them. I go for panfish, trout, and bass. The length of the rod is something to think about IMO...if there is a lot of cover where you are fishing, a shorter length may be better. I am sure there are others that could give you some feedback on that.

I am interested in hearing about how you do. I have seen a lot of carp in the stream where i fish, but do not know what flies they like to eat.

Anyway---hope this helps and good luck!!

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I got mine at BPS. Its a Dogwood Canyon setup and I think I paid 80 bucks for it. It more than a beginner model, actually very nice setup. Came with the line also. Been very happy with it so far.

4. Zing

Zing New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Raymond you would probably want to check out BPS and look at there starter sets. I would look at 8wt set up for carp, this can also be used for bass and light saltwater. Good luck and have fun. If your close enough to the mouth of the cape fear there is some pretty good striper fishing on fly rod up the cape fear I believe it is around lock #1. take care and let us know how it goes.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would get a 9 or 10 WT myself for carp and strippers. and the price well you'll get what you pay for too. I can under stand not wanting to dump alot of money out if your not shure but the perfomance of a cheep rod and a better one is like night and day and I think is a big factor in people fly fishing or not. the action in the rod is key or fly fishing and a L-cheep-o fly combo just dont cut it. A good rod you can feel it load up right, they will preform longer cast. I would do some home work before I went and bought one. Myself I ready like the temple fork rods. I think you can get them at bass pro now. mine have come from a fly shop in town (bullfrog creek if any of you are from the louisville area of KY). I think anyone on here with any expereance will agree with me.
    IN MY OPINION

6. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used several different rods. I think the most important thing is buy some good line! Decent line will make a cheaper rod cast much better. But a $500 rod will not cast well with $10 line. Mark my word.
    I agree with on the fly, you get what you pay for. I would use a 7/8 weight minimum for carp...IMO
    Good budget combos are availabe from Cabelas and Okuma...olj

7. eastcoasttoggin

eastcoasttoggin New Member

State:
    New York
    if you check out cabelas the tfo series is very affordable and come in full kits rod reel backing about a 170 bux but the rod comes with a lifetime warranty you break it you get a new one and for a weight i use a 2 wt but most would use a 5 or 6

8. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Carp are actually pretty smart, for the ones around where I live you need a small tippet and I think using any rod over 6wt is overkill. You need too heavy of a line to cast those rods which makes it kind of difficult to make a stealthy presentation. My opinion isn't neccesarily the right one but from my experience I think 5 or 6 wt is good. If you get a 5wt you might want to consider putting 6 wt line on it if your going to have to make long casts. I got a really nice starter fly rod kit from cabelas a while back and I love it. Only mistake I made is putting 5wt line on it and I notice that the rod doesn't load up correctly when I want to make a long cast(thats with floating line)... Just my two cents...
    :0a26:

...By the way the fly kit from cabelas i was talkin about is the Genesis. I rolled it up in a car window and broke the tip so I sent it to them and they sent me it back with a new tip section for free. Cabelas stands behind their products, I think Bass Pro does too... not sure though.

9. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I started with a rod and reel form wallyworld ,it was cheep but I learned to cast and found out yhat I could handel any fish in the water with it ,after landing a four foot gator .This was a Martin 5/6wt. kit It had every thing to start with .I bought som cheep flys and in no time I was fishing .Later I went to more expensive outfit.
    Starting with a heavy rod is a mistake .Start off lite and with a weight foward line ,Learn a few knots and use a leader that is easy to use .[tapered about ten lb. test] also at wallyworld .If you find out you don't like fly fishing give the stuf away and little is lost
    bewell mule