An idea for your Christmas Gift Exchange

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, Nov 22, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    This is an email I just sent out to my family about Christmas. A fellow came in a copied a smaller version of this and when I saw it, I copied it, added some parts, and suggested that our family do this.... If you do a gift exchange in your family for Christmas, maybe you can have fun with this too. Our family is usually 20-25 people... so imagine what will be involved when we do this, should they choose to adopt the idea.

We do a $10 gift exchange every year because nobody has the cash to buy a gift for every single family member... so maybe if you're doing something similar at home or work, you can copy and try this yourself.

Below is the email I sent to my family.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I read this idea for a game today and thought it would be a good idea to try this year at Christmas, since we do a gift exchange already. Please email this along to everyone coming to Christmas and see if we want to try this game instead of the same gift exchange. This game will be absolutely insane if it works the way I think it will.

Here is how it will work:

1) Everyone gets in a circle either sitting or standing for the gift exchange (just as we always do) holding the gift we brought for the exchange. To keep it as fair as possible, we will do a drawing at the beginning (like we would for the gift exchage) except this time the numbers we draw will determine in what order we sit/stand in the circle.

2) One person reads the short story (which I have a copy of below).

3) Every time the word "RIGHT" is read, we pass our gift to the person to our right.

4) Every time the word "LEFT" is read, we pass to the left.

5) Every time the word "OVER" is read, you skip one person to your right and hand the box to the person on the other side of them

6) At the end of the story, the gift in your hands is yours to keep. After 3 or 4 minutes of passing one way or the other, I get the idea that this can be a big laugh...

Here is the story.

Thanksgiving was long since OVER and Christmas was almost here. Mother RIGHT was finishing the Christmas Baking. Father RIGHT, Sue RIGHT & Billy RIGHT returned from their last minute Christmas errands. "There is not much LEFT to be done", said father RIGHT as he came OVER into the Kitchen. "Have you LEFT the basket of food at the church?", asked mother RIGHT. "I LEFT it RIGHT where you told me to", said father RIGHT. OVER on the RIGHT side of the entry way."

"I'm glad my shopping is OVER with.", said Billy RIGHT. "I dont have any money LEFT OVER!"

Mother RIGHT, laughed and said, "Well speaking of LEFT OVERs. We will have a lot of LEFT OVERs LEFT when the RIGHT family Christmas dinner is OVER!"

The hall telephone rang and Sue RIGHT LEFT to answer it. She rushed back in the room and told the family that aunt Tillie RIGHT had LEFT a package for them all RIGHT OVER on Grandma RIGHT's porch. "I'll go OVER there RIGHT now and get it", she said as she LEFT in a rush.

Father RIGHT and Billy RIGHT had brought in the Christmas tree and prepared to secure it, even though they had LEFT the RIGHT tools OVER at work the previous day. By the time Sue RIGHT returned, mother RIGHT, Father RIGHT, and Billy RIGHT were trimming the tree. The entire RIGHT family sang Christmas Carols as they finished decorating the tree. Then they LEFT all of their presents arranged all OVER under the tree and went to bed hoping that they had selected the RIGHT gifts for their family.

Now I hope you have the RIGHT present for yourself because that is all that's LEFT of our story... except to wish you and everyone all OVER the world a very Merry Christmas... isnt that RIGHT?

:big_smile: :tounge_out: :smile2: :cool2:

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Sounds like it would be a blast. Might have to try this at our Sunday school Christmas party.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That would be fun to at work party intead of the secret santa thing

4. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I'd guess with a certain amount of people, you'd get back the gift you bought.

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    If that happens, Im sure adding a few words to the end (or omitting them if you see that outcome happening) would get the gift NEAR you again, but not right back to you.

6. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Yep, but on another note, certain people in my family are known to buy better gifts, so I guess you could try to stand in the money spot lol. Seriously though, we have 3 differnt places to go on Christmas. We bought for everyone, then we did the name exchange thing, and finally we just buy for the kids. I think it's better that way, relieves a bunch of pressure, saves a lot of money, and everyone is just as happy. The story thing is a good idea though.