An Expensive trip on the Ohio

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Shad Man, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Well my girlfriend and I decided to hit up the Ohio yesterday. We netted some shad and started fishing a current seam where a embayment was draining into the river. Our bait was getting riddled but we couldn't hook up on anything. So I switched out the the smallest hook I had 5/0 circle and bam we got our first fish. An nice sauger. We ended up boating 3 before it got dark. If we would have had spinning reals and smaller hook it would have been on fire. But when all you got is your bluecat rods you got to make due. So we decided to fish downstream couldn't even get a bump. So we ancored on a mooring bouy and nailed the blue I posted. After that I felt I needed to get back out on the river and give it a shot again. Well two hours latter we still didn't have a fish so I decided to run way down river. BIG MISTAKE. About the time I got 5 miles downstream from the ramp. I started to notcie wood on the river. I tried to slow down but it was too late. Nailed a log. Motor got louded but seemed OK. So we rain on down river and fished for a while never caught anything so we decided to go home. As I began to plane my boat out we heard a loud metal knocking sound and then my boat was in nuetral. I couldn't get it to go in gear all it did was make grinding sounds. So I shut it off and got on the trolling motor. It took us 2 hours to get to the old ramp at Aurora (which is a piece of #@%& but it was heaven to us). We walked in town and couldn't find anyone to give us a ride. So finally we found a kid at the IGA who said when he got off work he would give us a ride to Tanners to get my truck. After he got off work he gave us a ride back and we managed to get the boat on the trailor and head home. All in all I can't complain. I have owed the boat 6 years and never did any motor work to it except for preventative maintance.

A special thanks goes out to the cart boy at IGA for giving us a ride and to those who turned my girlfriend and me down when we were soaked and freezing well you know where you can go!!!

Attached Files:

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    great story though..even though it sucked lol nice blue too

3. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry for your luck, glad to see you kept-ed a positive attitude and was able to get a ride from a good samaritan. Nice blue!!

4. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice job, justin, in piste of all the problems... hope it's nothing too serious with the motor!

Kudos to the IGA boy!

5. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    good job on the blue but next time get that jiggin rod in the boat! them sauger are to good to pass up. good luck on the motor.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Justin thanks for sharing your river trip story. Those surprising logs can cause a lot of headache. I hope it is not to bad. Proud you found someone to give you the lift needed.

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune Justin, sounds expensive. Glad to hear ya made it back safe and sound. Kudo's to the IGA cart boy.

8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Justin dont you have my cell phone number? I would have came up and got you man. Hell all I did yesterday was lounge around and watched football. Heck I wouldve even came out and towed you man.

9. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    I think I need that phone number for Flootie's Boat Tow...haha

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    OUCH! That's gotta hurt!

Brush guards for boats!! The next million dollar idea! :wink:

11. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    No a Jet drive!!!!

12. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Well I checked to see what was in my lower unit. The only thing that drained out was water and chunks of metal. I just changed the fluid last trip. So I guess its gonna be expensive.

13. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah scott if your ever in my neck of the woods and u break down, get ahold of me and if im free ill come out and get you. that goes for anyone. anyone who fishes my parts. rising sun, tanners creek area. I know what its like to broke down and it sucks. And the Ohio River is no joke when it comes to that, its too dangerous.
    And even if I cant come and get you, I know a few people that will. None of us will let someone be stranded. If you are planning on fishing down this way and want my cell just for that purpose or to keep me updated with how u r doing just pm me and u can have it....stephen

14. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Hello, this is Flootie's tow boat service how may I help you? :big_smile:

15. slikwiska

slikwiska New Member

State:
    northern IN
    Just curious...what is make,model,H.P. of outboard? Might be cheaper to find a used or remanufactured lower unit than to pay for the labor to rebuild that one. It could get you on the water faster too!! I could look around up here for ya( No. IN.) P.S. A girlfriend who fishes.....better get a ring on that finger!!!

16. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Its a Mercury Force 40 horse with power trim. Its a 1993 so I was thinking the same thing. Might be time to get a new one. Everyone says the Force is a junk motor but other than hitting a log at 20 mph I have not had any problems with it.

17. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    As for the ring... I need a new motor first..:wink::wink::wink:

18. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i often worry about this sort of thing happening to me...but its guys like that grocery boy that makes it okay...two thumbs up to him!

19. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

And the moral of this story is:

If you think you might have a motor problem, go upstream!!

Glad it worked out for you Justin, reps to the IGA kid...W

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  20. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    The other moral of the story is I need to proof read my posts.:smile2::smile2::smile2: