An enjoyable day

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by AwShucks, Sep 13, 2007.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I feel I had a very enjoyable day, even though it did not include fishing. I took my boat out last Tuesday. Got a little water in the sump from waves splashing over the stern, so I turned on the bilge pump... it sounded as though it was running for just about 2 seconds, then stopped. Later, I was going to toot the horn, didn't work. So today I figured "what the heck, lets get the maintenance done and do it right".

All my wiring runs to a point under the center console. It looked like a bird and a squirrel were in competition on nest building with all the red and black wires. I mean it looked like a plate of red and black spaghetti. So, first was a trip to radio shack where I bought some 8, 6 and 4 strip bus bars. My friend FuzzFace and I went under the console and removed every wire there. If we could pull it out, we did - if we couldn't I figured that was what the wire cutters were for. I riveted one of the 8 strip bus bars to the left side of the console, out of the way of my fishing stuff. Then I ran all ground wires to the bus bar. I put the black lead from the battery on top of the bus bar and connected all the grounds on the bottom fasteners. We used cable ties, plastic clamps, and wire loom plastic from the auto shops. It went in real neat. No problems and every wire was cut to fit and had an appropriate connector put on the end. Then we started on the red side. I all ready had a circuit breaker from Bass Pro installed on the console. We took it out and removed every red (power) wire. Then I fastened one of the 6 strip bus bar and one 4 strip bus bar to the right side of the console. Every wire than came from the battery was fastened to either the six or the four strip bus bar, depending upon its function. If it was a wire for one of the circuits in the panel, I fastened it to the four strip bus bar. If it was for a power source not on the circuit breaker, I fastened it to the 6 strip bus bar. Once all the leads from the battery was taken care of, We started running wires from the bus bar to the circuit breakers, connecting them to the appropriate circuit. If they were for a circuit not on the panel, We ran them to the 4 strip bar and the second wire from the fixtures switch (like a horn switch) to the red power bus. It took most of the day, but I now have a neat wiring harness under the console which will be easy to trouble shoot and repair. I'm really happy with the results. To me, this is just as good as fishing. LOL

2. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Lawrence, glad you got the wiring fixe Larence. Did you ever figure out what caused the shortage?

Jaime

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hi Jamie, yes... I had bolted the main wire from the battery's negative ground to a point under the console and the nut fell off, then the wire. They can't do that anymore. LOL

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nice job. I'm the same way, there's days I'd rather work on the boat as fish. I did the same thing to mine, the old fuse blocks were shot and someone had used black wire for everything. Put in 2 new fuse blocks, rewired everything so I knew what went where. Also cut out all the butt splices and soldered/heat shrank any splices. Enjoy the new, dependable wiring!

Branden