An Antioch pier tale

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by richard dunbar, Jul 10, 2007.

1. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    My daughter Tera was about 3 yrs old. My wife and I had split up about 6 months earlier and this was the first real time I had to spend with my daughter, so what better thing to do but introduce her to fishing. Now at 3 yrs old theres certain things you need to take into consideration for instance the potty and food and water. The food and water was easy, I stopped at the store and bought some juice and snacks. But how many places are there to fish that have a bathroom and you can catch real fish, not many. I could only think of one place so I drove the 20 miles from my home town of Concord CA to the bait shop and picked up some grass shrimp and anchoveys. We went to the pier just under the antioch bridge. The stripers ther can reach 40 lbs but the most common size to catch is 12-18 inches, the perfect size for a 3 yr old who never went fishing before to wrestle with and actually land. She had never been fishing before and was'nt real sure what it was about but when we got there she sat on the bench and watched with curiosity as I put the sinker and hook on the line and put a live shrimp on the hook. Her only question was daddy do we eat that and pointed at the shrimp. I explained to her that no the fishies eat that then we reel the fishie in and take a picture of it and if its big enough we take it home and eat it. Well she just smiled and sat back on the bench as I casted out the line. The striper population in this particular area is quite large yr round so it was about 30 seconds before the 1st bite. I let it run with it for a couple of seconds then set the hook. I then told Tera she caught a fish and to reel it in. She jumped up from the bench and ran to the edge of the dock with a giant grin on her face yelling "I caught a fish, I caught a fish!" She grabbed the pole and started reeling in. I held the pole with just one finger just incase she dropped it, but she did'nt. After she got it in we took a picture of her first fish ever, a 14 inch striper. Although it was too small she insisted on keeping that fish and walked around the pier 3 or 4 times showing that fish off to everyone including the game warden who in a weakened state by her rather large smile and pride of her first fish did not choose to ticket me that day.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    great story, Rich...PICS, RICH, PICS...YOU DIDN'T TAKE PICS????:angry:

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    love the story:big_smile:

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    thanks for sharing:big_smile:

5. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Your story made me grin, too... thanks, Rich :smile2:

6. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Well its kinda hard to support with pics when I'm sittin in Iraq on someone elses cp...lol But I promise as soon as I get home sometime in Aug 08 I will find it and post it