AN ANGEL IN THE POST OFFICE

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BailBonds, Feb 22, 2008.

1. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I found this posted on Craigs List

This is one of the kindest things I've ever experienced. I have no way to know who sent it, but there is a kind soul working in the dead letter office of the US postal service. Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:

Dear God, Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick. I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

Love, Meredith.

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away. Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by. Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I am wherever there is love.

Love, God

Attached Files:

2. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    What a cool story! Thanks for sharing it.

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just goes to show you that GOD & the Postal Service deliver on their promises!:wink: What a touching story.:big_smile:

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yup, tugs at the ol heart strings dont it. Kids and dogs will do it everytime. Thanks for bringing this story to share.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Well, guess I won't complain about the postal rates going up anymore.....

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for sharing that very touching story.
    That kid (and mom) was most likely touched in a way that will stay with them the rest of their lives.:big_smile:

Thanks again,
    David

7. troutline

troutline New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That was a nice story. Kind of a heart breaker. Hope it helps your little girl feel good about knowing her dog will be taken care of.

8. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Very touching story thanks for sharing!

9. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Great story Thnaks for sharing
    Sharon

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I am glad to see that there are still caring people out in this world. For someone to take the time to respond like that is a miracal in it's self.
    Bill

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yeah, but your supposed to post a hanky alert somewhere near the front. sigh

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rick thanks for sharing this touching story. Reps to you.

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Rick, that's a pretty cool thing that they did for you all. thanks for sharing the experience with us!

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    very touching ,great post ,Thanx

15. QBQ

QBQ New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That is one great story.

16. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Thanks for sharing the letter enjoyed reading it.

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Think of the sequence of events that that episode in a persons life took. The attachment of that child. The death of the dog. Parents who took the time to send the letter. The person who responded happening to be on duty when that letter went buy and having the curiosity to look. Then that person taking time out in their personal life to go to the effort and expense that it took. That in itself is the story behind a good story.

Thanks for plugging it in here. John.

18. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wonderful story. Later Andy