Amp draw of trolling motors

Discussion in 'Boating' started by phlat, Apr 14, 2008.

1. phlat

phlat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Does anyone know the amp draw of the run of the mill trolling motor? I know its gonna vary lb of thrust/voltage/etc, but it would be a good base line to know SOMETHING. I'm trying to calculate estimated run time of a few things and that is the one chunk of data I can't find and as of right now, I dont have a TM to test. The more specific info, the better. Thanks

phlat

edit: wattage would work too.

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm not for certain, though I think my 80 lb. has a 50 amp breaker on the line. With a 6 or 8 guage wire coming from the batteries.
    Now ya got me wondering.:confused2:

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    There's a lot of variables. Just depends on your motor. My 12V 55# Minn Kota will trip a 40A breaker so I put a 50A on it.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Shawn,

You can probably go to the manufacturers web site and get that information you need on the different type of motors.

5. phlat

phlat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find on their websites. I did find one chunk of data in an offshore boating catalog for an engine mounted 3-motor setup. It was up to 80 amps @36VDC i think. Thats one heck of a load. Thanks again. Any more info would be great.

phlat

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the boc its good to have you aboard

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The book on my MinnKota Edge 55 says that as a general rule: the 12v motor will draw one ampere per hour for each pound of thrust produced when the motor is running in high. Amp draw is dependent on weather,water, and current conditions.

8. phlat

phlat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    One amp/lb. of thrust on high, at full load, at 12vdc. I'm sure it vaires a little bit from motor to motor, but probably nothing more than 10%+/- thos figures. Sounds like a nice base line I guess. Give me something to go on anyways. Thanks a bunch.

phlat