Ammonia for catfish wounds ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kyron4, Jul 30, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I read somewhere that if a catfish horns you , that household amonia will take the sting away . Is this true ? Also read in a pincth that urine works, as in peeing on the wound. That can't be sanitary for a wound. Any comments ?

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Well I'm not sure about the second one and will leave that for you guys to try.:crazy: But Primitivefrn told me he washes his hands in bleach for bullhead stings that he gets from catching them as bait. I tryed it the other day and it works.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I keep a bottle of meat tenderizer in my tackle box... Just sprinkle a lil on your hand and put a few drops of water to make a paste and put it where it stuck ya. It helps take the sting out and helps prevent a infection. This works well on jellyfish stings also.... not sure about the amonia.... not something i'd be willing to try on myself.... LOL

4. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you get stuck by a catfish rub the wound on the belly of the fish the Bellyslime WILL take the sting away..One of my Indian Brothers showed me this and it works I do it all the time....

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I just cuss a lot and do the belly slime thing.

"Also read in a pincth that urine works, as in peeing on the wound. That can't be sanitary for a wound."

I do not know if that works but fresh urine is sterile, no grems.

6. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I can see bleach (chlorine) or ammonia breaking down the venom causing the sting. I grew up in the pest control industry, and these both break down most toxins, however never and I mean NEVER mix chlorine and ammonia, the resulting chlorine gas is toxic. I have known of people dying from this mixture. I'd hate to lose any brothers to this.
    The belly slime thing sounds like it is worth a shot to me.

7. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Well I dont know about the post but the slime now that I think about it does work I got stuck and handle other cats hands all slimey the sting did go away but the scare is still there weeks later

8. spaceman

spaceman New Member

State:
    Strong, Ar
    Amonia and urina do work for jellyfish stings. don't know about catfish stings but it should work. amonia and chlorine when mixed form mustard gas as in WW1.

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Amonia comes from urine. so thats why it works. I had for got about this from my diving days .

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont know for catfish but the scorpion fish(saltwater) when it stings you, I have heard both from people I know, and the discovery channel that urinating on it will heal it.

As for catfish, as far as I know, the only one that actually has vemon is the hardhead. The common fresh water species just sting from the prick.

11. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have had that to happen to me it don't fell to good a advil and it will feel better:lol:

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Yall read my lipp's BELLY SLIME!!!!:wink: :lol: :cool2:

13. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bought a tube of stuff for bites and stings. Took away the pain and swelling from a hornet sting in a few minutes.

I checked out the ingredients and it's just ammonia in a jelly like form.

14. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I can see it now, a couple guys getting back from fishing and peeing on each other!:big_smile:

I don't know how ammonia would work, but I have used bleach to soak in if I've been out in the woods and get covered with chiggers.

Ken

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Meat tenderizer for Jelly fish, Rub the "Stung" area on their belly for catfish..

I love my fishing partner like a brother, but there aint no way he is peeing on me LOL :lol:

16. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I think hardheads have the most venom, but freshwater cats do have some. I'm somewhat of a hardhead conosuer, and have never been stung, but was stung by a little channel and it felt like a jellyfish sting. Belly slime did work.

I will use this info to teach my daughter about catfish, though. I'll tell her if she gets stung she'll have to pee on the wound. Maybe that's overkill, I never got finned by a hardhead cause I got taught early and never handled them with my hands.

17. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i got finned pretty bad a few years ago by a little channel,the fin went in between my thumb and pointer finger and was almost sticking out through the top of my hand,i had to cut the finn off the cat and go to the hospital,i tried to pull the finn out but that made it worse,they have lil "hooks" on there fins that make it hard to pull out,the doc had to numb my hand and make a small cut where the finn was almost sticking out and pull it through instead of back out the way it went in,after he stitched me up he put this jelly like stuff on the wound and wrapped my hand up,i had to change the wrapping and when i took it off it reaked of ammonia so im guessing the stuff he put on my wound had some sort of ammonia in it.