Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

ammo

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Don Fischer 
#1 ·
i am going on my first hog hunt and i am taking a 30-06 snd a 308 caliber rifels and was looking for information on a good type of round to shoot out of each.i use either 180 grain rem power points or 180 grain win balistic silver tips in the 30-06 and 165 grain rem power points in the 308.any ones advice would be great .thanks and rip some lips.

#2 ·
well the silver tips work really better on softer skinned game like deer and antilope. I dont think either way ya will have penetration probs. in 308 165gr unless semi auto then 150gr. 165 gr seams to best fodder for .30's . go kill some hogs and let us know what ya think. best a luck.

#3 ·
Just remember a hog has a thick fiber shield on his shoulders, it will stop a 22 at point blank range, I know personally know,tipped bullets will blow up on impact more than penetrate the animal, if it were me I'd go for the solid bullet with a mushrooming nose, my experience, my 2 cents.

#4 ·
I've personally never had the chance to hunt hogs but I've been using those Wincdhester Ballistic Silver Tips in my 30-06 for years and I can't see having any problems taking a hog down. I've shot over 400yrds with'em and left exit wounds you could put your fist in so you should be alright.

#6 ·
Cant speak for the 30-06 never hog hunted with it . I have used 180gr hornady A max bullets in 300rum for hogs and deer with a mv of 3000+ fps . Smaller hogs 100-200 pound range it works wonders . The larger hogs 250 to 375 pound range i would use a Barnes TTsx solid copper ballistic tip . It will exit completely . A 55gr Barnes in a 223 will do the job at 200 yards with a well place shot. But the real thing is having a bullet that will hold up to penatrate three to four inches of fat plus 1/2" of cartlage. Many lead tip and ballistic tip rounds wont hold up. I shoot 30 to 40 hogs per year down here in the deep south.

#9 ·
If I could give one word of advice to someone hunting hogs for the first time it would be to
forget about heart lungs and shoulder like you would aim for deer. Think head and neck.
Hogs do not leave good blood trails most of the time. Its no fun crawling through briers and
brambles tracking a wounded boar hog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.