Ammo to Burn!

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by flathead willie, Dec 29, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had some time to kill the other night so I got my molds out, melted some of the 600# of lead I've collected, and started turning out round balls and maxi's. In no time I had 300 .50 cal round balls and about 100 maxi's. I've got one powder horn full of Pyrodex and another full of Black Powder. I'll be heading out this weekend to give the old Hawken a workout!

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    what kind of hawken do you shoot? I have a T/C Hawkens .50 cal Flintlock. I bought it used and dont know anyone around that shoots black powder. Whats your setup like? powder charges ect. I havent tried maxi's in it yet. just roundballs so far.

3. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Scott, I built mine myself. The barrell was made by Browning and came with all the tool marks all over it. It was a real chore hand sanding all the flats and still keeping the ridges strait. All the brass parts were strait out of the sand casts and severely pitted. The stock was just a rough-out chunk of wood and had to be carved, routed, inlayed, sanded, and stained. All the brass had to be hand sanded to get the pits out and then polished and fitted. It took me 5 months to build. The first day I took it to the woods I killed a 5 pointer with it. It has a slow twist to the rifling (1 in 77) so it shoots round balls better then anything else. I can group about 3 inches at 100 yards with round balls, ( I can usually hit a playing card) and around 5-6 inches with maxi's. I hunt with a patched round ball over 70 grains of Black Powder. I try to keep my shots at 75 yards or less but I have killed ground hogs at 100 yards with it.

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    You sound a lot like me,there was a time when I shot up 5+ pounds of 3f blackpowder a year.35 years ago I bought a CVA Kentucky rifle kit in 45 cal and modofied it to suit me.It has 1 in 66 rifling which as you know is for round ball only but will shoot bullet hole size groupes at 50 yd using patched round balls(I have on a bet hit one strand of a barbed wire fence at 50yd)and I can and have hit coke cans at 200yds.I've shot that old gun so much that there is no way a man could walk with all the lead I have shoved down the barrel.

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I do a lot of shooting. I have a 200 yard range off my deck and a steel plate range in the back yard. In my last house I had a reloading room with a window that looks out over a hay field. The wood line is 195 yards from the window. I'd make up loads, put the bench rest rig in the window, and start burning powder. I used the Hawken to pop off ground hogs in the hay field. I may be wrong about the twist of my rifling. It may be 1-66. At any rate, it's slow so round balls work great but Sabots and other ammo don't do so well. Badkarma, I was looking at a nice Kentucky rifle on line last night. It might be a nice addition to your collection....and a bargain at only $38,750.00!

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Billie that price is way out of line for me.Many years ago back in 1970 something when I had kids to feed and to many bills to pay I wanted a hand made Kentucky rifle in flintlock but the $1000.00 price tag shot that idea down.I guess I'll just have to stay with my old Kentucky rifle.I've been shooting blackpowder guns for 38 years and I've owned a few muzzelloaders and shot a lot more in all cal.from 22,32,36,40,44,45,50,54,58cal,12ga and a 6ga cape gun but I never owned a 50 cal muzzle loader till my wife gave me an inline SS Knight for Christmas.That Kinght is like hunting with a 3006 and a real deer killer but I've never seen a 50cal that shoots as good or was as much fun to shoot as my old round ball 45cal.My 14 year old grandson Joel will be here next weekend and I'm gona give him my inline Knight and teach him how to load and clean it.I have plenty of ball and powder so I plan to do a lot of shooting with both the 50 and 45.Man I love the smell of blackpowder smoke.:bad_smelly: