Ameristep ground blinds, a few questions

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by Believer, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    1) Who uses them (specifically the Doghouse and Outhouse)and what do you think of them?

2) do you use them for both deer and turkey?

3) How well does the shoot through mesh hold up?

4) Do any of you use the TSC large window kits on the Doghouse blinds?

5) Do they work well for archery and gun hunting?

I purchased a Doghouse on Thursday and used it Saturday morning. I like it, but the small mesh windows don't offer the best visibility so I think I will get the TSC kits for better visibility.
    When I got home I was carrying it by the backpack straps and one of them broke. I took it back to the store and they replaced it for me.

Then later that night I was at my work's Christmas party and won an Outhouse blind! :big_smile: I guess i'll use the DH when I take the wife or kids and the OH when I go by myself.

Thanks!

Eric

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive had the outhouse now for a couple years. Its great for gun hunting but a little cramped for bowhunting. You can bowhunt out of it but you have to stick the arrow out the window to have room to draw, it can be done just not easily. I had squirrels running over top of it today. I think I remember someone saying you need to add cover for turkeys but Ive seen a few turkeys but nothing real close. Mine doesnt have the shoot through mesh but have heard it works okay. Let us know how you like the DH, been wanting one of them too.

Ive been thinking about getting the Ameristep G30 blind but Im not sure about it. Has anyone used this blind or any other hub style blind???

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've used the outhouse blinds for three years now, and love 'em.

My sense is, however, that unless you hide it really well (as in: not visible), large bucks will keep their distance. I've not used it for turkeys.

Three reasons why I'm a fan: 1) It gets me out of the weather, so I hunt more, 2) lets me move around, w/o detection, and 3) allows the use of a comfortable chair, so I hunt longer. I can take a lunch, and make a day of it.

I also feel that, even w/o TSC, the enclosed blind helps some with scent.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Eric, I have both of them as well, although I havn't used the Outhouse since I bought the Doghouse. I've only turkey hunted with bow out of them, and yes the Outhouse is pretty small for bowhunting. The Doghouse is big enough for two, but you'll have to move around a little for both to shoot. I use expandables, so I don't use the mesh. I just unzip the corners of the windows a little bit. The best thing about it is being able to draw your bow out of sight, then just move to the side a little bit to get on your target. I've had 6 gobblers strutting within 5 feet, so they don't seem to mind at all (until you put an arrow through one of them)!

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Thanks to those who have responded!

I'm still looking for info on the TSC kits. Do they hold up well to arrows being shot through them and have you had any problems with arrow deflection?

Thanks!

Eric

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have used both and even had a kid in the out house with me, it was a little tight but still worked ok. I have had deer, turkey and coyotes within 1o yards and they are perfect for taking kids, just take a padded bucket and a soundless game and they are set for several hours and they don't get bored. Although they will fall asleep.

7. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Eric, those TSC kits are available from Ameristep.
    http://www.ameristep.com/accessories/baccessory.html

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I went out and bought a TSC window kit today and I can tell you this. IT IS GOING BACK to the store!!!
    They do not fit properly and worse of all, they are hard to see through. It's kind of like looking through a dirty pair of prescription glasses when you don't wear them.