America's first jet

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Jun 2, 2006.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    One of my old Air Force buddies sent me this. I thought it was interesting what a bunch of old men can do and the story behind the plane.

America's first Jet airplane. It was first flown in Oct. 1942.

Fran and the gang have spent the last 10 years restoring this plane, and they just got the wings on last weekend-just in time for the Airshow this weekend. It isn't flying, yet, but will be on display there. Here is the funny story about the P-59 (and explains the funny hats the guys are wearing). In 1942, this was Top Secret airplane. It was at Edwards AFB, and when they had to transport it, (when the dry lake got flooded) they disguised it with a phony wood propeller on the front-and covered it in a shroud. One time, on a test flight out of Edwards, it was spotted by pilot's getting checked out in P-38s out of Van Nyess Airport. When they reported seeing an airplane with no propeller, no one would believe it. The story kept circulating, so the test pilot of the P-59 decided on a great plan. He dressed up in a gorilla mask, put on a derby hat and a cigar. Then he made a point to fly next to the P-38 pilots and waved at them. When they got back to the base, they told everyone they had seen a plane with no propeller, flown by a gorilla, wearing a derby and smoking a cigar. Naturally, NO ONE would believe that one, so it stayed a secret until after the war. The Crew below has special shirts and derby hats and a fancy baseball cap designed by one of the guys. They might have the gorilla mask by this weekend!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Cool story and great pics. THANX!

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for sharing!!!

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thats a cool story. I can only imagine what must have gone through those pilot's heads when they saw a gorilla flying it:big_smile: !

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That is pretty nifty Dayton, thanks for sharing.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    that's a good story Dayton - thanks

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I enjoyed the story Daton, thank you.

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Very neat! Looks like It has the tail section of a p-51 and the turtle deck and canopy look like the p-51B. Yet the rest of the fuselage resembles the first Mesherscmitt jet of WW2. Is it a single or twin turbine? I would think that the Panthers and Cougars of the 50s evolved from this jet.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looking at the full size photos I would say it's twin turbine. I'm surprised, for I would guess the first jet we had would have been one turbine.

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Was watching t.v. this afternoon on the history channel and it was "The Secret Planes of the Allieds during WWII". It showed that plane in it. Was a pretty interesting show.

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Thanks for sharing that. Great pics.

12. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    That a great story and pictures! Jets shore have come a long way in development.
    That was a good way to keep the jet a secret! LOL!

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for shareing that story. That is very cool.
    Glad to hear/read any stories like that.

14. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Great pics and story. story reminds me of a movie where the mayors nephew kept gettin outta all tickets:angry: , till one day he was caught, asked for his liscense. upon producing the paper liscence, the cop smeared peanut butter on it, ate it :crazy: and wrote him a ticket for not having a liscense. he didn't get out of that one. seems no one would believe him:lol: