American Spirit baitcasters

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Bill in SC, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    After ordering my American Spirit rods, I was browsing their web site. Their baitcasters looked to be Abu Garcia clones. Now, I'm not giving up my Garcias to try one, but was wondering if anyone here had one, and how they compare to Abu Garcia in price and performance. I know you can't judge a book by it's cover, but the reels LOOK very good.

Bill in SC

2. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I just got my 4 new rods too, that makes a total of six. I have caught some five pounders on them and I like the action. I have abu 6600's on three of them. I want to get one more 6600 for one more. Then I was thinking about a greencat or a catfish pro for the other three. I got the catolog in the box and was checking out their bait caster reels. I'd like to know how they are too.

Gold Anodized Weather Resistant Finish, 3 Ball Bearings, Instant Anti Reverse, Anodized And Machined Aluminum Spool, Selective Off/On Clicker, Push Button Spool Release, Hardwood Handle, Adjustable Spool Tension Knob,Dual Pin Centrifugal Brake System, Precision Machined Brass Gears.
    price:Model PC 6500C- $57.00
    Let us know about these reels.......Thanks, Tim

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Guys, I was thinking the same thing.... so when I ordered my rods, I figured, what the hey, I'll try some of the reels too. So I ordered 4 of the casting reels and two of the Premier spinning reels.

1st impressions on the casting reel:

The size is just about perfect for me, right between the 6000 and 7000 reels. I usually use 20-30lb mono and the capacity is 220yd of 20 and 160yd of 30. That's a bit more than the 155yds of 20 for the 6000 a bit less than the 200yds of 30 for the 7000. Size wise, like I said, just about perfect for me (one of the major reasons I wanted to try it).

Geared at 5.3-1, just a good compromise between speed and power.

Reels pretty smoothly, I'd put in on par with any other baitcast reel with two ball bearings. The wooden knob on the handle adds a touch of class, but I think that the handle is a bit too short on the counter-balance end (at least it looks like it), but there's no adverse affect on your retrieves.

The drag seems to have a lot of adjustment to it. When it's cranked down tight, I can't hold the spool with heavy thumb pressure (as tight as I could press) and keep it from turning when I reeled. On some reels, even with the drag as tight as it can get, I can keep the spool from turning on the retrieve. With some pressure applied on the drag, as I turned the handle and while the drag was slipping, I didn't notice any catches or tight spots to it, but it may act different when there's line on the spool. I have not tried to measure the actual pounds of pressure on the drag yet.

The clicker on this reel is just as weak as the ones on the 6000 reels. That's the biggest downfall of the 6000 reels in my opinion, and it's the same for this one. Unless you are in a no current area, the clicker is going to be about worthless, unless you lighten the drag and keep the reel in gear and use it (kind of like you'd do with a lever drag reel).

The instant-anti reverse is INSTANT. On some reels, the "instant" seems almost more like an extreme multi-point (just a little kick back in between stops). Not here, it's solid with no slap.

The gears engage and disengage with no problems. Push the button, disengage, turn the handle, re-engage, doesn't feel sloppy or loose.

Levelwind unit seems a bit on the loose side, but that may just be my imagination. I don't have any other reels to compare it to, well, anything that's similar to it anyway.

I haven't spooled it and tried casting yet, hey, right now the temps here are right at 8 degrees (actual temp) and I'm NOT going to go outside and try it. I've been out all morning, and now I am warm, and I intend to stay that way. :smile2:

1st impression on the spinning reel: Model PC620

Well, I don't know yet....:eek:oooh:

LOTS of plastic on the reel. Not graphite composite, it's plastic.
    The handle is plastic, part of the bail/roller mechanism is plastic, the trim is plastic, and the drag knob is plastic. Plastic isn't a bad thing, but with the looks of the reel, I wasn't expecting it. Up close, the plastic looks a bit cheesy.

The reel body is graphite composite.

Huge oversize line roller to "prevent twist" like a lot of other reels.

Nice wooden knob, folding handle, nothing that you don't find on almost every other reel.

Reeling is pretty smooth, but with 6 bearings, I'd think that it would feel a bit smoother. The gearing feels solid though.

They quote "instant" anti-reverse, but it's not. It's one of the "super" multi-point anti-reverse's. Almost no slap-back, but there is a some of it there, and you can tell.

The spool is a longcast design, aluminum, and has a nice polish/finish to it.

I haven't played with the drag yet.

On one reel, the bail flips back into position every time you turn the handle after a cast (simulated, I already told you it's COLD, lol). On the other reel, it does NOT flip back into position every time. I'll have to say that I've experienced this on many different brands and price points, so I don't hold it against the reel.

These reels are on a couple of 7ft Ugly Stik Classic rods, and will probably get spooled with 14lb-17lb line for general purpose fishing-- channels, live bait for bass, kind of a whatever is swimming and hungry combo. I'm not expecting any drag-frying runs or huge fish, and since it'll just be a bait rod more than likely (no artificials), the anti-reverse isn't a big deal to me.

Now, if you buy them when you buy the rods through the Neocats deal, the reels are also sold a substantial discount. That's why I decided to try them out. If you want to try them, I'd either contact Jeff or call the guy at American (I talked to a guy named Mike) if you have the phone number and see if they'll cut you deal on them too, since you have ordered the rods.

4. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Chris, Thanks for your report Very thorough. I'd still like to hear one from someone who has used this reel. Thanks, Tim :0a31:

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id be interested in finding out how they are,ive got three of there rods and really like them alot.

6. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    James, I've got six of the 7'6" MH casting rods and love them! If the reels are as good as Abu's @ half the price I'd buy them! Thanks, Tim

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I was also waiting for to answer that had fished with the reels. My answer could be considered biased for obvious reasons.

Anyways, I didn't get a chance to fish much with mine before winter set in. I did manage to catch a couple of small channels in the 10# range.
    It performed fine with those. The clicker is loud, which I like, even though I don't use clickers very often.

I won't get to put the reel to a real test until spring.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Keep plenty of superglue on hand...............the ceramic eye inserts pop out at will............nothing but ugly stick tigers for me from now on

9. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I've heard that about some rods, but I don't know if I've heard anyone say that about the Nite Stick Pro.

Honestly, in 25 years of buying and fishing with my own gear, I've NEVER had a ceramic insert pop out of an eyelet. At least when using the rod as a fishing rod.

I've stepped on a couple and had them pop out, but then, the eyes aren't designed for that.

Maybe this problem stems from people using overly heavy line (that the rod and components aren't designed for) and tight drags and putting too much stress on the guides? :confused2:

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I haven't had my rod very long but no eyelets have popped out. That doesn't meanthey can't because it has happened on much more expensive rods that I own.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I don't know why rod makers use the inserts anyhow. Can't be THAT much cheaper than an all stainless guide. That said, I anxiously await my 10 American Spirit rods! :wink: BTW: I've had ceramic inserts come out of rods before, but only when they got bent from abuse.

Bill in SC

12. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    It's hard to buck a trend that's decades old now. The inserts became needed because the guys that were using Dacron line in saltwater for big fish had problems with the metal guides developing grooves in them and fraying the line. Once the trend took off in saltwater, of course, it made the transition to freshwater. Now with better alloys, all-steel guides are becoming popular in both venues again. What goes around always comes back around.....