American Shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by peewee williams, Jan 26, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It,s getting shad time on the east coast.For over 50 years,I have trolled with any kind of tiny,shiny spoon that I could find.Most of the time,in black water rivers.Do you fish for shad?What color is the water?What kind of rig,lure,color,ect.do you use to catch shad?peewee-williams

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I fish for american shad here in Northeast, North Carolina. I catch them in rivers around here which usually are moderately muddy. I use sabaki rigs, and little golden spoons. I use those little spoons on a carolina rig with small "egg" weights, say about 1/4 ounce.

Good luck, those shad make excellent cut bait.:)

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    in my experience i have never actually gotten a shad to bite, i only catch them when i snag them fishing for bass or skipjack

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    They are probaly not American or Hickory shad then. Because American and Hickory shad like the ones I'm talking about catching, definitely bite if you have the right lure.:)

Good luck!:cool:

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    wow i didnt know that im use to gizzard and sumo shad here in Ohio. Hey Katmaster Jr come July we should hook up and fish when i go to the beach house for a couple of weeks.

6. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I fish for shad and herring every spring on the potomac. I usually use white yellow or green shad darts two per rod or little spoons. Big rockfish and catfish follow them up the rivers too. Cut herring is great bait for them.

Pendog american shad, and hickory shad and blueback herring are saltwater fish that come up the rivers every spring to spawn. They are strong fish on a light rod and a lot of fun. They call hickory shad "poor mans tarpon".

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Sounds cool to me, the beach house is over here in NC?

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah Emerald Isle we do a lot of shark fishing while we are there

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    OH....yeah I've been there. I love shark fishing in the surf in the summer. We will have to see if I can come, so I can show you how to reel in them big toothy critters....lol:p

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i'll take that challenge, the biggest we caught last year was a 11 footer that took 3 hours to bring in on the point of the pier

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well you have me beat....lol....My biggest is a 7ft nurse shark. But I have hooked some real big ones and lost them at the pier. I just really got serious about shark fishing this past summer and just got gear thats actually big enough to catch them. This summer I will be ready for them.:cool:

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    American shad weight around 4-8lbs.normaly.They do get bigger.They make one of the best cat & Large Stripe Bass baits there is.From now through spring,is when you can catch a few Stripers,along with the cats,on cut and live bait.Soft flesh,makes them hard to keep on the hook.Wrapping in pantyhose,cheese cloth,ect works well.A 4-8 lb shad ought to make a awsome bait for a giant Altamaha Flathead.They run,on in to May. I have known of them being used whole for shark,when available.peewee-williams

13. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i fish the delaware river. some of the best american shad fishing on the east coast! to bad i stink at it but we use, spinners, spoons, flicker spoons and shad darts in this area. we normaly cast out shad darts on a pole and have thembe about a foot off the bottom then use flicker spoons on down riggers and fish from inchs off the bottom to near the surface with them depending where the shad are running that day mostly about 1 or 2 feet of the bottom. good way to find them is when the water is low fish channels and higer water then use the sides in about 10-15 feet of water. great fight

14. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The James river at Richmond VA is full of spawning shad during late March on through April. We catch them on Shad Dart, little spoons, and my brother wears them out with a flies on his flyrod. Have to put enough wieght on to get lure, dart, fly down near the bottom. Hickorys make great Monster Blue Cat Bait. My PB, (54 lb.) was caught on a whole 12 inch Hickory Shad last April out of the James.:)

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    What brand and size spoons are you guys using, I just ordered a bunch of shad darts online, but I also want to try some spoons. What pound test are you running, I have 6lb on my ultralight, just wondering if its enough in a strong current.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I dont use any particular brand, just use a bunch of different brands. I dont think it matters much about the brand. I just stick a shad dart up the line above the spoon. And I do it carolina rig style with one of those little "bullet" weights like the ones used for bass fishing with plastic worms. Sometimes I use a sabiki rig with a spoon on the bottom, that works great, esspecialy if you want to catch herring at the same time!:)

17. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    here in the tennessee where I live we have smaller shad. at my local marina I catch them from under the dock just before going out, I use a very small hook and bologna. I catch about an even amount of gills and shad most of the time.

Danny

18. notimetofish

notimetofish New Member

State:
    van buren,arkansas
    man i've never seen a 4-8lb shad. the biggest i've seen here in arkansas is about 2lbs and that was big for me. i just use a castnet and can catch about 20- 30 per cast on a good day.

19. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    These are the weights for female American Shad which are full of eggs.The Bucks as males are called,are smaller.This shad goes up the rivers of the Atlantic coast to spawn like salmon,in late winter and spring.They put up a great fight and are one of if not the best of all the catfish and shark baits.The Georgia record is 8 lb.3 oz..8 fish per day limit.peewee-williams

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep everything he just said is correct. I really love these Shad, they cannot really be caught in a cast net.:)