American Shad Run?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BassMassey, Jan 18, 2009.

1. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Anyone here familiar with the american shad run in southeastern georgia. I am curious because I think last spring I had a run-in with these fish stacked up under the lake sinclair spillway. I mean every time I threw the net it would be full of these 2 lb shad.......there was even a guy down there snagging them with a spinnerbait. The only thing is that this dam is 200 miles up river from the coast........although the entire run is unimpounded so there isn't anything to stop them......do you think this was in fact american shad? would they run that far up river......I couldn't tell much by the looks of them, they looked like big gizzard shad to me. Either way I'm going back this spring to stock the freezer up a lil bit...........any insight or opinions are appreciated.....

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Probably so, lil chiefin. I anxiously await the run. We set nets here in the Pee Dee and mop up on 'em.

BB in SC

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Could you all provide me with more info on the shad run?

4. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've seen schools of shad running along the bank at the hydro-electric plant along the arkansas river that were
    probably five foot wide and maybe 100 foot long. I could see the shad but it looked like a huge dark cloud moving above the water.

5. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    yeah i did a search on the american shad run earlier......i read that they have been known to run up to 300 miles up river from the ocean if there's nothing to stop them.......they said they usually start running up the rivers in georgia around january......i guess it will take them about a month to get up around here

6. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    well from what i make of it these american shad live their entire lives in the ocean.....much like salmon......when it's time for them to spawn they run way up in the freshwater rivers to spawning grounds................what amazes me is the dam where i found them last year is well over 200 miles away from the coast!

7. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Aaron, In the spring they run up the Altamaha and then up the Oconee and Ocmulgee Rivers. American and Hickory Shad are listed as gamefish in Georgia and the daily limit is 8. I think you're supposed to catch them with hook and line only. You can catch them with Sabiki rigs.

8. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    are you serious? only 8? everytime i threw my net last year it was hard to pull up the wall......i guess i will have tie up some jigs and make a few trips down there

9. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Yeah, I'm looking at the new fishing regulations right now. 8 per day.