American Shad on the Sacramento River

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by AllenM, Jun 12, 2006.

1. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Ok, gang... I'm not knowlegeable AT ALL about river fishing, this being the first time I've lived near a river and given much thought to fishing in it, and I've had SQUAT for luck so far. The American shad are running heavy out here at this time, and I'd like to know what the heck to use to catch some? How big do they get? I've heard of people catching 5 pound shad. Is that right?? So what kind of bait should I use? Where should I put it? Should I fish the current or slack waters? Any advice will be greatly helpful.

Info on striped bass fishing would also be helpful, as I'd like to catch those too.

Thanks!

2. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I have had alot of success with small jigs and an ultra light pole in the current at the washout. I have even caght them on some spinners. I have always fished them in the current. Most fish that I have caught are a couple pounds. They are a great fight with an ultralight in the sac. Good fun that I would recommend to anyone. Good fishing to all!

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thats a fish I know nothing about! I think I have caught them in the past by accident, released them without much thought! I do know that they are pretty popular sport fish in the sacremento area and not that common in the San Joaquin. Are they edible? Never seen shad on a menue, but somebody must be eating them!

4. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I have always caught them and released them. They are supposed to be really boney. I have been told that people that know how to cook them like them. Personally I prefer to eat catfish, trout and salmon for freshwater fish. I have had sturgeon when I was younger and from what I remember it was good. Of course I have been told that cooked right carp can begood eating but I have never been that daring. If you get into a school of shad with some 4lb test and a heavy current you will have a great time.

5. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Ah, THIS post must be the one you mentioned on the phone! Sounds like a blast! I'll hit you up tomorrow about heading out to Black Butte, and hopefully Sunday, or some time next week we might be able to hit the river earlier in the day and see if we can hook into anything out there that will give us a good fight. I'm looking forward to having someone to fish with again, that's for sure!

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Uh.... Typing impediment?? :confused2: