American Rodsmith surf rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Douglas Foster, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I bought myself an American Rodsmith 10' surf rod at the local sporting chain today. Two pieces, long cork wrapped handle, rated up to 4ozs. and under $40. I'm hoping this will be a long range thrower when paired with a Abu 7000. If I can get away tommorrow, I'm going to take it to the lake and heave some bait. I would warn everyone to stay indoors and away from the windows while I make my first attempts at surf casting. Doug

2. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm pretty sure you will enjoy that American Rodsmith (ARS) rod. It's pretty well built. I own three of the 12 footers and yesterday I finally had the chance to practice casting them. Two of the ARS are paired with Okuma SD 45L and the third one with 330GTI reel. Those ARS can surely heave a 4oz pyramid sinker 70 yards without a problem. Warning, other fisherman may look at you kind of weird when they see you with a surf rod at a local lake. :lol: :lol: I know for sure you will enjoy owning your newly bought ARS rod. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

3. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    I thought I show my set up..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have and AS 8' one for my 7000

5. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York

Nice setups :smile2:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice set ups, I like ur rod rack.

7. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks! I'm getting ready to do some surf fishing, deep sea fishing and jetty fishing at the gulf in March. The wife and I will stay out in Port Aransas for a week. Just a short vacation away from work. I can't really wait.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    holy crap! those things are under $40?!:eek:oooh: link please!:tounge_out:

9. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got the ARS rods from local Academy. The 12' are under 50.00 and according to "Douglas Foster" the 10' are under 40.00 Check your local Academy. They are really inexpensive but good...

10. Douglas Foster

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Yep, $38.00 before tax and the other $50 worth of stuff I pick up when I go to Academy in Okla. City. I wish they had had the 12'ers in stock. I need a couple of those.

11. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I checked the link for American Rodsmith and did not see the surf rods. Does Academy have a link or website?

12. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Academy does not have a very good website. I guess they are not set up to handle any internet order yet.

13. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    They are not, and the AR site needs help as well...

I will probably be getting one of these this week and give them a try...

14. bookr1

bookr1 New Member

State:
    MO
    I wish I could find one of these rods online in a 12' spinning. Anyone with information on how I can get one can pm me with the information.

15. bigtater

bigtater New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i just bought a 12 foot casting model and this thing is a beast. I got a penn 320 on it and caught a few good spoonbill on it. I cant wait to take it down south and whoop up on some bull reds. I think mine was like 54 bucks and they are really nice rods. I hope this helps but its just my opinion.

16. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Throw it with any basic abu6500 and you will get way more distance. Just my advice. If you want distance, get a 6500.

17. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I still haven't picked up one of these... I'll have to look again this weekend.

18. Douglas Foster

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I get about the same distance with my 7000 Pro Rocket and 7000 CL Big Game as I do with my 6500 Pro Rocket and 6500 CL Big Game. I think it has a lot to do with the weights you throw and how you set the reel up. It is much easier for me to throw a 7000 series on a 10-12 foot rod because I use more weight on a 7000 than I'm willing to use on a 6500. I agree, a 6500 will put it out there a long way on a 10-12 foot rod with a little lighter weight rating. My rods are just rated for a heavier weight, and I have to use a heavier sinker to load them properly. Doug