American Pioneer Powder

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by simpleokie, Nov 13, 2009.

1. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    I got a bottle of American Pioneer powder last year, I immediately started having consistency problems. I thought it was maybe my scope, then I thought it was the sabots I was using. Last week I fired 25 shots from It and finally ran out of AP. Today I bought a bottle of triple 7, and Hornady 250 grain sabots. It took me 8 shot to be dead on 2" high at 100 yards. I don't know if anyone else has had this happen but I've never had this much trouble at the range in my life. AP is worthless in my opinion.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I used it last year and killed three deer. The shots were all under 40 yds. I guess I had better go to the range and check it out at a longer range. My rifle was sighted in when I started using it and I only shot a couple times with it before I went hunting. I didn't get one this season. Gun season starts in a week. Thanks for the heads up.

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i know it dont have no shelf life i had 3 bottles of it and it turned black in color and clumped up when its fresh its white i didnt use it i just took it out and burnt it looked like it drawed moisture or something and these bottles was still sealed never opened they was stored in the bottom of my gun cabinet with my shotgun powder and it was fine so i wont use it no more i went to triple 7

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Blackhorn 209 is Good stuff, doesn't suck up moisture, Clean so no corrosion issues like pyrodex, consistant, good shelf life, smokes like crazy when you shoot it!, easy to load between shots, cleans up with petroleum based solvents like hoppes #9, very nice!

Downside is it costs more but it went on sale this year as some places so I bought my second bottle as the first was about to run out.

I get fantastic groups at 100 yards with my encore using 245 gr powerbelts. It likes a hot primer. I use federal 209A.

5. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    I know other guys that use Blackhorn 209 and say it's the best they've seen. I just didn't have the extra money for it. It is supposed to be the #1 propellant for inlines. Triple 7 is the next best thing to it.My gun cleaned up easier with 777 too. American Pioneer had so much un burnt powder left in the barrel that when you took out the breach plug it would blow back into your eye if you looked down the barrel. With 777 I didn't have any. I ran a spit patch down the barrel in between shots and popped a primer every couple of shots and it loaded easy and shot great.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been using Pyrodex in my Ruger for years, but I've been having a few misfires. I was reading where Rugers perform better with Black Powder, although it is harder to clean. I shoot Black Powder is my Hawken and really like it, but it is getting hard to find locally. I may have to try some of these other powders you guys are talking about.

7. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I tried a different powder than my pyrodex a few years ago and was not impressed. I think if was the American Pioneer but I can't be for sure. White plastic jug with a blue label. The powder looked grayish white and was in rather large granules. My TC Omega shot horrible groups with it. Seemed to be inconsistent between loadings which I accredited to the large granules leaving lots of air space when poured into a powder measure which resulted in inconsistent powder charges. I went back to pyrodex select. I bought some triple seven on clearance for $9.00 at Wal Mart a few years ago and it has shot pretty good so far.

8. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    sounds like ap white bottle and blue label i will never use it again what i had turned black in color and a big chunk. stuff is crap in my book

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got 10 loads left of pyrodex pellets, I am gona try the blackhorn 209 when I runn out. If I dont like it I will give it away and go back to my pyrodex pellets.

10. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    do you use pellets ? and did you put the 209 conversion in yet? that should cure misfires by itself.:wink:

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    No, I use the loose powder. I haven't got the 209 conversion yet. I'm hoping Santa will bring it. It's on my wish list, right above a scouting camera! LOL:wink:

12. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    take the reindeer by the antlers :004: