The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...I was wondering the other day just what all fishing brands are actually "MADE" in America and what's not.

And what is made overseas and only "assembled" in America?

Or made totally overseas and just shipped here and sold under a brand?

Any thoughts??

Thanks!

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
846 Posts
As far as I know almost every brand is made overseas. Penn reels may be an exception. I don't keep up with them very well and others on here know all about Penn.
I have a rod built in Arkansas. It is a Meat Hunter rod. The other rod I have is Fire Stick and I believe it is built in America. There are many custom rod builders across the US, but I don't know them all. Others on here can chime in.
I have a Lews reel that I believe is built in Korea, though the company is based in Springfield, MO.
Even the best hooks are made overseas. I don't know about Eagle Claw, maybe?
I'm sure some of the old salts on here will chime in with useful answers to your question.

It disappoints me that this is state of the manufacturing base in the US. I worked in manufacturing for 35 years and now it seems everything we use comes from China and is intended to wear out quick and get thrown away.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
most penns are made in china only the internationals are made in the usa, Avets are 100% usa made, i think Accurate Reels are as well,,,for rods/blanks i think St. Croix and lamiglas are 100% usa made,and these may have components made in other countries,,,, lots of cat rods are put together here in the USA but who knows where the blank and components come from, kinda like buying a usa made car the closest thing to 100% usa made is the jeep cherokee at 72% ,, for it to say made in usa on it it has to be 100% made, i know mag-lite a local company here had a problem with government with their flashlight that said made in usa, found to have just the tiny little light bulb was foreign made

·
Registered
366 Posts
Some good info! I wonder about all the catfish rods?
I’m almost certain that most of not all are Chinese. I know the Mojo Cat rods are assembled in Mexico, and I think the Warrior Cat bumping rods are made in America. Those two rods are also well over $100.00 which seems to turn most people off. Warrior Cat even posted a poll on social media asking if people would be willing to pay more for all their rods to be made in America which would’ve made them double in price and it was close to 100% that said they would not be willing to pay more.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't blame them as long as the quality is good!
The costs of those rods plus some others is high and also a turn off for me also.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The high cost isn’t a huge deterrent for me if I can get what I’m looking for out of the product. However, if I can get something that fits what I want and it’s more affordable then I’ll most likely go that route.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,128 Posts
I have no problem spending big bucks if it is necessary to get the right tool to do a job. Thing is, I believe fishing tackle in general does not need to cost big bucks to do a decent job.
If I was going offshore for big tuna and marlin, it would be necessary to have two or three grand (guessing) in a rod and reel but I cannot justify spending $100 plus on a rod and $300 on a reel to fish for catfish....... I can afford to ....but I won't because I don't believe it's necessary.
That pretty much dictates that my rods and reels are not 100% US made. If it were, the wages/benefits etc. expected by those making it would push the price into the "can't justify it" bracket.
Catfishing is an expanding market with a lot of folks jumping on the bandwagon and while it's nice to have choices, it seems that some products are aimed more at catching catfishermen/women than catfish.
Manufacturing technology is such these days that it's not hard to make decent rods and reels at an affordable price without having to break the bank or resort to the cheap nasty stuff but again, the wages/benefits that US workers understandably expect push up the prices
Using nice stuff that works well and inspires confidence is definitely more satisfying than using cheap stuff that feels cheap and gives cause for concern; my stuff is nice and, should I ever hook that 100 pounder, I know it will handle it but it didn't cost an arm and a leg.
Everyone's money is there own and they are free to spend it however makes them happy so if you want a US made, hand built, catfishing rod with an Avet or a Siegler reel on it.... more power to you.

...W

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am not trying to start an argument for made in US vs China (or other part of the world) but let me just say that I am happy we have access to good and cheap rod, reels, etc. Are they better quality than the more expensive ones, probably not, but for most of us, good and cheap is good enough for what we do. Especially if we are not trying to hook up 50 lbs flathead.

I would love to be fishing with an Avet reel (I think they just look very cool) but if everything is at that price range, it will be very hard for someone to get involved in fishing. I definitely not going to let my 9 yr old handle Avet reel without me watching closely next to him. With my son's current $40 Ugly Stick GX2 setup, I think we both have more fun fishing than using some uber expensive rod and reel. This setup gives him the freedom to make mistake and if he broke the reel or rod, or both, then no worries, I just get another one. Does he wants to try one of the 9 ft rod, yeah sure... go for it! They are not that expensive either. If he cast into a tree and have to break the line.. oh well... I now have that $8 for 100 circle hooks from Ebay so who cares if we end up losing 30 of them this year. It definitely hurts less than using Gamakatsu hooks lol

EDIT: and this apply to my wife as well. I would be worried handing her expensive gear. She just want to reel in some fish and not worried about breaking anything.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Had to go look at those Avet reels. Yike's, Who can afford a reed like that, I sure can't! I wouldn't pay that if I had the money!

Anymore I don't much care where stuff is made. American's much prefer welfare to working and the government prefer's giving it to them in exchange for vote's. Imagine all the reels and rod were made in this country, few people could afford to fish anymore.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There are a few true made in America reels but they are stictly for the most demanding and well-healed person. If you have $500.00 dollars for a reel then they can offer you one that is of the highest quality imaginable. They are hand fit and finished and are smooth like nothing that average man has ever felt. It is like comparing a top line Swiss watch to a Timex...

The pleasure is in owning them. They are beautiful examples of fine art...BUT they are no better at catching fish than any well-made factory-made reel that is a tenth the cost. If I won a huge lottery tomorrow I might have to have a few of them but they might be too pretty to actually take fishing. I would still use my Zebcos for crappie and small bass though.

I have a friend that has a couple of these reels and has over a thousand dollars invested in them. He also has a trophy room with all of the big 5 African animals including three elephants. You wouldn't BELIEVE what he paid for a used elephant GUN!!! It is some kind of just gorgeous engraved British Double.

He worked hard most of his life and when he retired and sold his company money became just a tool for him to please his wife and himself with. He provided his kids with top-flight educations. His son is a West Point graduate and while the schooling might not be too crazy getting him appointed was a medium to high 6 figures. He then paid for their first house and set them up with a half-million a piece Then he started spending his money. He is the sort that keeps those reel companies in the business.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can get old usa made penns pretty reasonable if your handy enough to take them apart go through them clean everything up relube it and upgrade the drag disc they are fine reels. Avets sweet, and the people using them are primarily saltwater guys. I have buddy in florida that does a lot beach fishing for sharks. He kayaks baits out a longways then drops them in. He has one avet, a big senator, and a nice higher end shimano conventional. He has them cause he never knows if it will be a big bull shark, pushing 10ft, or a little black tip that grabs his baits. If it's a big hammer, or bull you don't want to lose it, and they will push the finest equipment to it's limits. So the high end stuff isn't for everyone I agree, I have china crap as cost is a factor. But I try and buy American if I can. The meat hunter rods are at least put together in the US and are affordable. If you kept your eyes peeled I'm sure used avet reels come up for far less than they are new, old usa made penns can be had pretty reasonable. Hooks most of the eagle claw hooks are us made they aren't too expensive. Most of my circle hooks are eagle claw circle sea hooks. I've loaded up on them when I've been near the coast of the Louisiana and stopped at an academy that had good prices on them. Line powerpro is USA made, most of berkley's line is USA to include their brade and mono. For braid I'm partial to powerpro I don't run braid for cats that much. Most my cat set ups are spooled with berkley big game mono it's affordable us made and has been good to me.

I don't mind chinese rods if their priced accordingly but to me $100 or over for a china rod is getting steep hence why I've stayed away from many of the favored rods. I have some old ugly sticks for my spinning set ups I've liked they're chinese, but they priced accordingly. I have old st croix seafari rod that has old penn 309 on it with 30lb berkley big game, it's my big fish boat rod. I've got a meat hunter with an old penn 209 as well. I like the meat hunter rods they seem to be the best priced USA assembled rods you can get, and are pretty good. Even the usa made rods are really just USA assembled as there aren't hardly any eyelets or reel seats made here. Some blanks are made here, and there are other companies too that build their rods here at least.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts