American Horse Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Gonzo_Joe, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Gonzo_Joe

Gonzo_Joe New Member

State:
    Dowling Park, Florida
    With any luck, I'll be moving back home to central Oklahoma around summer of this year. I've fished American Horse many times for bass with excellent results, but have never tried catfishing it. Does anyone know if there are any good cats in that lake, or would I be better off trying my luck somewhere else?

2. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Welcome back to the promised land!

I've never fished for cats in American Horse. But there are some monster slab bluegills in there. And a lot of snakes if I remember right....

3. Gonzo_Joe

Gonzo_Joe New Member

State:
    Dowling Park, Florida
    Yes sir, them there bluegills do get huge in that puddle of water. Never had a problem with snakes, but the turtles were sure a pain in the rumpus.

4. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    There are some decent channel cats there in American Horse. Ive only caught a couple last time I was there but I saw a couple more swimming around in one of those coves. Very clear water. Im pretty sure there are no blues. I dont know about flats but I wouldnt be surprised. If there aren't any flatheads there probably needs to be. Would be good for the sunfish population Id imagine.

5. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I know what you mean Joe. There is nothing worse than watch something play with the bait, then your rod bends and you set the hook in a decent fish just to get it up and find out it's a turtle! Once they find you, it's hard to get away from them, too.