American Horse Lake??

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by baptistpreach, Dec 20, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    What's the story on it? Does anyone know if it is open or will be soon??

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    American Horse Lake is currently closed because the road has not been rebuilt. When the road is repaired then there are approximately 30 work days of dam repairs that must be completed. The lake has been drawn down again to protect the dam from possible future damage from Spring rains. ODWC knows how important a lake AH is and they want to take every precaution to save the lake. I visited with the ODWC supervisor over this lake yesterday because I was interested myself in the progress. I will advise everyone when an update is available. Stay tuned.

catman george

3. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Does it really take that long to fix the road? Do you know if the dam breaking hurt any of the species? Thanks for the info!

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The road damage is supposedly a canyon 15' deep X 40' wide. THe dam was breached the full width by water which scoured all vegetation off the entire back side and severely damaged the toe of the dam. Lost fish is expected to be bass fingerlings or fingerlings of all fish that could not fight the current. The biggest prayer is that all the grass carp left the lake. It is too ealy to determine the extent of the damage to the fish population. The shock boat will have to be sent in and a survey done. If anyone is interested I will report as to the ODWC findings after the electro fishing project is complete. I may be able to be on board the boat during the survey.

catman george

5. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Is there any way at all I could be on the boat too? Or I could be there to watch? I've always really wanted to watch when they shocked a lake, but never knew who to talk to or if I could. Thanks for the great info!!