American Horse Lake - Flood

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catman george, Aug 22, 2007.

1. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The recent rain has isolated American Horse Lake. The road leading to the lake apparently has been submerged and/or washed out. A 4 wheeler made it to the lake by going thru some pastures. The lake received a tremendous amount of water. It seems the spillway could not handle the amount of water coming in and a wall of water the entire length of the dam went over the top. The vegetation on the backside of the dam was stripped away and there was significant erosion at the base. ODWC officials have not been able to properly assess the damage as of yet. You can bet alot of grass carp went over with the water. I expect the bass,perch, cats and crappie probably hunkered down and staid put while a bunch of shad exited. Time will tell the toll on the fishery. The lake is the best lake in the state for trophy bluegill and I would hate to see it ruined. I will update when I hear from ODWC as to their findings.

catman george

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The dam on the lake has been inspected by the game ranger and the opinion is that it will take 30 days of dirt work to repair the damage caused by the flood waters. The lake is muddy and lots of floating timber.

catman george:angry:

3. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    George thanks for that info. I just mentioned to Okie Gal last week about putting the canoe on the Horse. Maybe next month.

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The ODWC can not start the repairs to the dam until the County repairs the road. There is a 40' wide X 15' gulley where the road used to be on the North South stretch near the lake. ODWC indicates that there at least 30 days worth of dozer time and hauling soil in to secure the dam. The lake is being lowered to reduce the stress on the dam so it will hold against any more rain that is predicted. If you fish the Horse then pray that the dam will hold.

catman george

5. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Got my weekly letter from ODWC today about the road being closed . Im hoping it goes smooth and reopens soon.

6. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    So does that mean there is no access to the lake by vehicle? I hope this isn't a dumb question, I just figured if the road went out, then they'd get it up and running soon!

7. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    So the lake is closed to vehicle access? I hope it doesn't sound like a dumb question, I'd just imagine they'd get it running again sooner than this!

8. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    David,from what i understand the county road is closed leading to the entrance, or was closed. It may be open by now I havent heard. I would think the farmers would want that road open asap, as it leads to the main highway. Maybe Catfish George can fill us in a little more.

9. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The lake access road which runs North and South near the entrance to the lake is washed out. The canyon is reported to be 15 feet deep and 40 feet wide. This will take some time for the County crew to get it fixed. The Wildlife Commission has declared the repair to the dam as an emergency at their meeting this past

10. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    darn fingers! The commisioners declared it an emergency. I expect it will be some time in November or December before the dam is fixed. This is my best guess. I have not heard anything new recently. I will advise everyone when there are any new developments on the repairs.

catman george

11. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Thanks George, I guess we'll be ready for some good blue gill fishin in the spring. Hope all goes smooth for the Department

12. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    So just where is American Horse Lake anyways?

13. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    American Horse is about 1/2 way between Geary and Watonga, going north. Biggest bluegill I've ever caught.
    Brown crickets, and in a float tube, and hang on it is fun.

14. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Thanks a lot Flint. I might just have to try a get up there some time!

Dave

15. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The best estimate, at this time, is that American Horse will be open again for fishing around the first of May 2008. I will keep everyone posted if things change.

catman george

16. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Hey George, are you from that area? I have a good friend who is a wrestling coach here in Altus from up there. Nick Williams. He's from there & wrestled at OSU. He's a heckuva guy & I've been putting him on catfish this summer. I'm about to make a regular catman out of him, his hookset reaction is the best I've ever seen.:eek:oooh:

17. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No, I am from OKC but have fished the lake since the week it opened and know the lake well. I can always catch fish there. The cats average 4-8#, perch are 9-12", bass are overabundant and there are some crappie.

catman george