American/Hickory Shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Plowboy411, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Can some one give me some advice on how to catch them with reel and rod. I'd like to give it a try any help would be appreciated.thanks

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    You can probably catch them with a Sabiki rig. They use them a lot to catch saltwater bait. Size hooks depend on size Shad you are trying to catch. I think American and Hickory Shad get pretty big. Keep in mind you can catch several at a time. A Sabiki tied with 17 to 20 lb. test is probably what you need. If you get serious about it they also make a Sabiki rod that will keep your rig from getting tangled up. Check out www.tackletogo.com/sabikirigs.html

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Sabaki rigs will work, although you will probably snag them as there are alot of hooks. Or tie on some small treble hooks followed by a weight.

4. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    cant snag in ga acording to the 2008 rules and regs...

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thank you all for your replies. the Altamaha is full of gill nets,:roll_eyes: I think it is a money thing.I just wont to catch a few for bait and fun.they make good catfish bait.both channel and flathead. thanks again for your help.

6. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    yep great bait i also wish we could use blue back herring on west point ....

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The sabiki rigs do work. A throw net is a real help too. We have caught them on small pcs. of redworms too.:eek:oooh:

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The shad run up the Virginia rivers is a thing lots of people look forward to every year. They are so much fun to catch and rightfully deserve their name of poor man's tarpon. They jump around, it's a hoot. You can catch them on Sabikis, fly rods and small colorful weighted flies with sinking line, ultra light spinning tackle with small jigs and spoons. Zebco 33's with same. Like I said poor man's tarpon, pick your poison. Good luck.

Attached Files:

9. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ultralight rod and reel with 6 pound test.

Shad darts, small spoons and 2 inch white curly tail grubs on 1/8 or 1/4 ounce pink jig heads. I like to tie on a spoon and then a 2 foot line from the curve in the hook to a white jig. Catch two at a time that way often.

You can do a little searching online and find shad rigs which are pre made two lure rigs.

Main thing with shad fishing, be ready for a lot of flashes and misses. Seems you hook up one of every 5-6 strikes. Sabiki rigs are a pain and better left for Herring fishing.

Here is a good trip we had last Spring here in NC.

http://www.greggofish.com/log31607.html

10. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Now that's the kind of info I was looking for.thank You very so much. what part of the water column,on the bottom middle or surface?

11. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    on the day but the general rule is throw it out and let it hit the botom (in water 8 feet or so and less) and then either hop your rig back or just slowly reel it. They act differently depending on the water clarity, stage of the spawning run, whether it's sunny or overcast, etc.....

One thing with shad though, once you figure out what they want and how they want it.......you can usually catch a boatload.......

A good thing to do is get out when there are a lot of people catching them and see exactly what they are using and how they are fishing for them. Usually, when the shad are thick , so are the people.

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    we have hickory shad in lake hartwell, the dnr put a load in several yrs ago trying to combat the population of threadfin shad and thinking they would die off and not reproduce in the lake. wrong they did. I catch them at night under a bridge with small minnows just like crappie fishing. have caught them on sabiki rigs just not as big and also catch alot of herring that way. you cant take them to another body of water if they are alive though. american shad I have only caught a few but never really tried to catch those but once on the savannah river during the spring, they were caught on small crappie jigs. have caught a few in the wateree river in a cast net while trying to catch gizzard shad but that was only in the spring also.

13. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Can they be frozen and stored for cat bait later? whats the best way to do this if possible?

14. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Freeze covered in salt water and they can be reused. If not covered the shad get mushy. But nothing, I mean nothing beats fresh bait. I don't freeze anything anymore.

15. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I was just thinking with the shad run here in NC in March I might be able to stock up on baits.

16. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That is my plan. catch what I can and use most of them for bait. they are pretty good smoked too.
    so I plan to eat some of them.

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The standard lure for shad in SC is a 1/8 oz jig head with a 2" (not 1" and certainly not 3") chartreuse curly tail. It is generally a good idea to try to get near the bottom, but they will hit near the surface at times, too.

It will increase you chances of catching some a bunch if you can find areas where the shad bunch up. Anything that slows them down on their upstream migration will bunch them upa bit. Dams really concentrate the fish (below the dam, of course), but I know there are no dams on the Altamaha. Good riffles or anything else like that will help, too. Like maybe a spot where the river narrows to funnel under a narrow bridge?...

They are fun to catch, but if you just want some for bait (and yes they are excellent catfish bait - very bloody and oily) then you might want to just see if one of the netters will sell you a few.

It is possible to cast net them, but it's not easy. They are super strong fast swimmers, so they will swim out from under a sinking net in any decent depth of water. Your best shot at cast netting some would prolly be to target eddies along the banks, but that;s awful hard on the net (roots and branches, etc eat cast nets for breakfast).

18. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thank you Bro, I need all the help I can get on this subject.
    I like your signature by the way,,that could apply to a lot of things.lol:wink::smile2:

19. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    We called them the poor mans salmon LOL But every year we have a shad festival in Lambertville NJ on the Delaware river and man is it fun about 200 to 1000 people show up and eat pickled shad and smoked shad and most of it is all rod and reel fish. We used long noodle ultra light poles rigged up with 4 to 6lb test inline weights and flutter spoons in florescent green and florescent pink. and when the fishing was rough due to high water heavier shad darts were the other method.