American eels in kansas

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by pabloracer4748, Oct 5, 2009.

1. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Does anyone know where I might be able to catch an eel near Topeka Kansas. I am setting up a kansas native fish tank. That would look super cool in my tank. Thanks!:big_smile:

2. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    What all fish do you plan on putting in your tank?What do you have so far?What size tank are you using.

I would try to fish for them like perch with a small hook and worm.Try some creeks.I think those fish are really hard to catch though.

3. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    I'm no expert at all on eels but I do know the for the life cycle of an eel they live in both fresh water and marine waters. Think they spawn in marine water and migrate up rivers where they feed and live until they get ready to spawn where they migrate down the rivers back into salt water for spawning.
    With all the dams on the rivers I'm not sure there are many left in our rivers this far inland anymore.
    As a youngster in Southeast Kansas in late 1940's or early 1950's I remember my father catching a eel in the Verdegris rives on limb lines.
    Again I could be all wet on this but it is an interesting subject.

Might check these out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eel_life_history
    http://www.chesapeakebay.net/american_eel.htm

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    The only eel i heard of being caught was out of the Kansas river south of manhattan in 1987. I have never seen one .

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

come by lawrence and catch one they caught here every summer for as long as i can remember i saw one get caught this summer as a matter of fact. they just get dumped back in the water as most people dont want to touch them..lol i think the bowerstock is as far up river they can go

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    There was a small creek by are far in Winfield were we used to catch them when we seined for minnows crawdads. But that has been 20yrs. ago. So not sure if they are still there or not.

7. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    I fish below bowerstock quite a bit. Usually by boat via the eudora boat ramp though. I do have a 25 foot 6 foot deep sein if I new A creek or somthing where I could trap em in. It would take me a while to catch one on a rod and reel im sure. They are somewhat rare. But I always here about people catching them.

So far all I have in my tank is a long nose gar. Another cool fish Im gonna try to catch soon is a shovelnose sturgeon. I caught about 7 of them last fall. In my tank what I would like to have would be a gar sturgeon eel bluegill crappie largemouth smallmouth creek chub green sunfish pumpkinseeds, ect

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  8. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    I caught an 24+ inch eel on r&r (6/0 and Nightcrawler) on the Mo @ the mouth of the Little Blue back abt 1991. Fought like a channel. Thats one of the great things abt fishing the big rivers, you never know what will bend you pole next.:big_smile:

9. sportsmanfromkc

sportsmanfromkc New Member

State:
    kansas
    what size tank you got in your house? everything i have ever been taught is 2 inch of fish per gallon of water. so if i am adding this up right i am guessing a thousand gallons....:smile2:

10. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i saw a pretty good sized one get caught at melvern's heated dock a few years ago in december.caught on a red ruby minnow.it was pretty funny watching them 2 old guys argue about who's gonna take it off the hook!:smile2:

11. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i think that gar will eat up most of them fish unless ist a real small one.

12. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    Yes I have a thousand gallon tank thanks for asking

13. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas

The gar is only about 9 inches. Hes not crazy aggresive or anything until I dump minnows in his tank.

14. sportsmanfromkc

State:
    kansas
    would

15. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
    i cought one once on tha mizzooo and it was bout 3 feat long . i ate it and dam was it really good

16. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
    really good aint no joke cought it off them green smelly worms also coght sturgen and ate himm too wasnt as good.

17. sportsmanfromkc

State:
    kansas
    would love to see some pics of this tank,

18. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    1000 gallons is hard to get in one picture:smile2:

19. pabloracer4748