American as Apple pie

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Mi11er, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    We have some red delicious apples, can you make a pie out of them? My wife did not know, I thought you could make a APPLE pie out of any apple. Anyone have a good Pie recipe they would like to share?

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You could... if you like mushie pie...:wink:

3. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Jeb is right, there are not much for cooking. :confused2: Here are some comment I found on line I hope it will help.

"Granny Smiths are always a decent choice for pie, as they are easy to find, will hold up during baking and can take a lot of extra flavor from sugar and spices. Jonathan, Jonagold and Pippin apples are other excellent sweet-tart choices. Gravenstein, Braeburn, Fuji and Pink Lady Apples are all crisp and sturdy, as well. Red Delicious and Golden Delicious, despite their promising names, are not good choices for baking, and neither are Gala and Cortland, since they tend to become mealy in pie fillings." from bakingbites.com.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Thanks for the response. I didn't know that the type of apple made a difference:confused2: I guess that is why I don't have a cooking show:smile2:

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i dont know about you guys, but i had a apple called the honey crisp apples they only are arpund in the fall and they are about 5 bucks a pound but they are so good they are totally worth around 2.50 a piece since they are huge they are like 4-5 incehes in diameter sometimes, so if you get the chance try ne they are great!!!

6. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i love a fresh apple pie. i tried the red apples and couldnt eat the pie tasted like chewing cardboard. then i tried some small green apples my wife brought home from school and it was excellent. first i used store bought pie shells then i tried msking my own and they were better than the others. not as convenient.
    i cut up about three cups of apples in slices. put in a skillet add two cups of suger and three tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup of water and let it cook down till all the apples are soft(stirring constantly) cut the heat down add brown sugar and ground cinamon to the top (experiment to taste) and simmer for a couple of minutes. pour in shell and put top shell on it punch a few holes in it to keep it from bubbling up. cook till shells are done and wala the best apple pie you could ask for.

7. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Would Red Delicious or Golden Delicious not be a fair choice for making things such as apple sauce or apple butter or even jelly since they are going to be cooked as mush or just for the juice anyway?

I use unsweetened applesauce in alot of my recipes for a sweetner in place of sugar for my husband because he has been told by doc that he has to cut out sugars, salts, and fats.

8. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    leslie, i am not sure about the apples for applesauce but i am the kind of guy that will try new stuff might want to try one of each in food processor and see which has the better texture. if i find out i'll let you know.

9. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Thanks Royce. I don't have any on hand today or else Id be trying it myself today.

10. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have some reds greens and yellows at home. we have a low country boil at church when i get off work but i'll try it first chance i get and let you know. got my curiousity going now. might as well make a apple pie while i'm at it.

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to totally agree about the honey crisp apples. For me, they are the best tastin' apples ever. Around here, they run about 2.99 a pound.