Ambulance for a camper

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Grimpuppy, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Anyone ever try or see an ambulance converted to a camping rig? I got my eye on a couple in Wichita that Purple Wave is auctioning off. I really need something to pull the boat and camp at the lake and be able to pull a 24 foot enclosed trailer to the race track. Maybe I am nuts, but I thought one of these just might work good for both.

Attached Files:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    If the price is right Id jump on it. That would be cool.
    Would you have to come to Wichita to get it?

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay, sure looks like the box is big enough to convert to a camper. If the price is right I'd get it. Of course you'd have to consider mileage and stuff like that, age, etc. Looks like it'd be lighter than like the Cathouse too?

4. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I think its a great idea. Usually a diesel motor, heavy suspension, electrical, and cooling systems, and outfitted with exterior lighting. Sounds like a great multipurpose vehicle in the making. Let us know if ya get one..

5. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Sounds really cool, just kinda creepy....Let us know what you do !!!

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Ya, I would have to come get it. I have talked to the guy and he says it would drive back up here no problem. Just got to calibrate by BS detector :smile2:. Everything runs and drives great when you are trying to sell it.

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Jay I've thought of doing the same thing. They are usually already set up with all the electrical outlets, and there should be an outlet outside so you can plug it in and keep everything charged. Plenty of storage inside and out. You can find ambulance cots pretty cheap so you would have a bed on wheels. Also someone can sleep on the bench seat. I sleep in an ambulance almost every night so they aren't that creepy. Just remember no one ever died in an ambulance (your not dead until the doc says your dead):smile2::smile2:

8. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    That would be a neat project, being able to set it up to suit your own needs. I've often thought about using an old school bus, but an ambulance would be just as good if not better.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I am changing my will to never pronounce me dead. I have found a way to live forever:smile2:.

He said they both still have all the electrical intact. Including the inverters, so you have 110 when the vehicle is running and not plugged in. I will have to take the sirens off though. I can already see what will happen after a few drinks at 2:30 in the morning:smile2:.

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    If it's at that RIGHT price i'd buy in now... you know they are well maintained ,so what if you have to put a few buck's in it...You'd be the coolest catman around:smile2:

11. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    This has to be the greatest idea sinced sliced pizza!

In case of a fishing emergency, you have the right vehicle. Often after a bad day, or boring day at work, I could use a fishing emergency and could/would call you.

You would have plenty of storage for gear, beer, and any ther necessities one might need to go fishing and camping.

This is a GREAT idea!

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

what kinda gas milage does that thing get ya think?i love the idea on haveing one some of them are even 4x4 how cool is a that a four wheel drive camper

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't know what the fuel mileage is on one. I know my Suburban gets 8 pulling the boat and 6 pulling the race trailer. I wouldn't think they would be any worse than that. They both of these have 7.3 diesels. I don't know if they are turbo diesels or not though. I will call and talk to him again. I am guessing the red one (1992) will go for about $1000 and the white one (1991) might go as cheap as $500 maybe.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That looks like an electrical nightmare! I hope everything works..

15. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats a steal. You wont have any mileage problems with the deisel. You could probably pull your boat and trailer.:smile2:

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

Those sirens are not that loud to begin with. You need a Train Horn I have one on one of my show truck and let me tell you people move when they here that go off. If they don't they normally have to change underware.:smile2::smile2:

There are a couple guys that run the EMS trucks around NE KS to pull there show vehicles. I know one guy turned it in to a camper and the other guy turned it in to a mini shop on wheels for his kids JR Drag car.

17. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Jay you could name it the CATTY WAGON.:smile2:

18. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    That sounds good, you know it was probably well maintained, and it definatley has the pulling power, should make a great camper.Good luck with that ,It ll be set up just like you like it.

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds good to me Jay. We used to have an old hearse that we partied in.:crazy: Just out of curiosity I googled (ambulance camper pics) and got 380,000.00 hits! lol Go for it.

20. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia

LOL! :smile2: Run the sirens all the way to the beer store! LOL! :smile2: