Amberjack?

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 17, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Anyone else on here caught any Amberjack? I went out with my dad's friend who is a Charter boat Captain this past summer and we caught alot of 30-50 lb Amberjack's and I really thought they were some of the best fighting fish for thier size or maybe even just overall. They are a blast, we fished a shipwreck with diamond jigs. As soon as our jig got down there we would hook one. Took about 30 minutes to get them to the boat, they cooked up good too. We grilled them, yummm.... :D

2. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i personally have not caught any a.j.s but a few of my friends have and your right they do grill up right nice...they also make a dang good seafood dip...

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Amber Jacks are some great fun and pound for pound a top-notch fighter that is for sure. I have caught them up 53 pounds and if you don’t have some good gear you will never get them up.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, they are just a blast in my opinion. And Gator is right, if you dont have the right gear you aint gonna get them up.

good luck :)

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We used to catch the while fishing for grouper with live pinfish. One time, my dad swung his pinfish & sinker over the side, preparing to drop it down to the bottom, and an amberjack jumped completely out of the water to grab the pinfish and take off. Like any member of the jack family, they are terrific fighters; unlike some of the other jacks, they are very good eating.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Dang that A.J. must have been hungry to do that.... :D They are awesome fish! All jacks are awesome fighters! :)

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    you wanna talk about a scrappin' fish that would be the jack crevelle this fish pound for pound in my book has got to be the fish with the most heart...
    one i was fishing for cobia and caught me a 20#er decent fish not to much of a fight nuthin' to brag about then about an hour later i hooked into a jack about 8#S this fish took 15min. to get turned he was doing anything he wanted to finally i landed him i more fun fighting him than i did my cobia...

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I watched my dad catch one of those....boy it put up one heck of a fight so I know what you mean.