Ambassaduer reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by RandyS, Jul 30, 2008.

1. RandyS

RandyS New Member

State:
    Pa
    I was at Cabela's today in Wheeling Wv. looking to upgrade my fishing equiptment. I looked at their display of ambassaduer reels. The one model 6600 record looked pretty good, until I handled it. The clicker is a flimsy piece of plastic. It wound pretty nice though, but for $159 I was kind of expecting more. The 7000's are made in china, I could'nt believe it. I ended up not buying anything. My old equiptment which has served me well all these years will just have to keep on working. I'm not sure what to do when it wears out. I don't mean to offend anyone that uses ambassaduer reels. I'm sure the older ones are excellent.

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The new Abu's are just as nice. I have 2 newer (made in China) 7000ics pro rockets, and my son has 2 10000's. They are still Abu Garcia, made in China due to labor costs in Switzerland as are many products today, but manufactured to Abu's pattents and strict quality controls. They are warrentied by Abu Garcia. Its an international maketplace these days, many of our fav name brands arent made where they used to be, either you have faith in the parent company or you dont.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Nothing but praise for Abu Garcia, my weapon of choice!
    Bill in SC

4. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    they are still lifetime warranty you can send them in if they break and get them fixed free if its something wrong with quality and if its just normal wear and tear they will pro rate one to keep you a loyal customer. I use two for bass fishing and two for catfishing they are the smaller ones but I had my two bass reels sent in and one repaired the other pro rated and it only costed me like fifty bucks that was shipping and everything. The reels if i had to buy them new wer over two hundred so its worth all you pay for them.

5. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    I just orderd a 6500c3 limited camo off ebay and droped $150 after shipping and they clamed it was swiss made.

6. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    some of there reels still are swiss made some are not

7. RandyS

RandyS New Member

State:
    Pa
    The only one I saw that was made in china was the 7000. All of the other ones were made in sweden. I probably would have bought one without the clicker but they were sold out. I'm not sure if it was a 5500 or 5600.

8. RandyS

RandyS New Member

State:
    Pa
    My intent with my first post here was not to offend anyone. If I have I sincerely apologize. I know that ambassaduer makes excellent reels. It's just the first two I looked at took me by surprise. Old curmudgeon I guess.

9. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    evreyone has an opinion. My favorite question is Ford made in Mexico or Toyota made in USA? And another from the motorcycle community, ride American, ride Harley..... pull the rubber off the wheels and look what is stamped there. Made in China. I use Abu's love 'em, kinda like the first of anything you own, you just kinda feel partial, until it let's you down.:wink::wink: Good Luck and let us know what you get and how it works.

10. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    If I remember right,the gears are whats still made in Sweden,not Switzerland. They are assembled in China. It is cheaper to put work in third world countries than it is to pay a local man the wages he deserves. I,however,haven't used a new abu yet,but the old ones were great. I also think its not the reel that catches fish. It's the bait.

11. cathunter47

cathunter47 New Member

State:
    wy
    Ambassadeur reels even the ones assembled in china are quality products. Abu has always made reels that vary in quality and price but their cheapest one will still get the job done. I bought my first one over 25 years ago and it is still going strong even though it has some plastic parts in it. Easy to maintain and if you do break a part you can get that part to fix it.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    oh i hate to see abu made in china. glad i got a bunch.

might try ebay. you can get some deals now and then on great lightly used abus made in sweden.:wink:

13. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Seems like everything is made in China. As far as Ambassadeur reels goes, they still are real good reels. I have several and have had nothing but good luck with them.

14. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When it comes to Abu I think you can still be assured the quality is still there no matter where they are made. Reels are a very competitive market and I am sure Abu does not want to see their reputation (years of it) or popularity position slip among anglers. I would still count on a quality reel at an affordable price that will last a lifetime. Just my thoughts.......

15. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was told by an owner of a bait shop in my area that all Abus sold at Wal-Mart had plastic gears. I checked two of mine and they both had plastic. I purchased a Eagle Claw reel this year, they claim to have brass gears. I have not checked but so far I love the reel.

16. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Yes you are correct, Sweden not Switzerland, my bad. No, the hook catches the fish, the bait is just enticement. The rod, reel, and line put that fish in the boat. A Zebco probably aint gonna get a 30 pounder to the boat. We just saw a case where a cheap reel got smoked last month on the Ohio. That could have been a lifetime PB, and all he could do is watch line scream out as his reel spit parts on the boat floor. I fish to put fish in the boat, not just feed em.

17. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What cheap reel were they using?:eek:oooh:

18. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I know it was a Zebco 808, but not sure if it was a Magnum model or not.

19. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Theres alot of good reels out there. Ambassadors are second class reels to me. I have afew but don't use them for cats. 3 top end reels I will say good things about. Fin-Nor reels are really nice, well built. Diawa has several good reels. Their Salist reels are pretty nice. Shimono Tekota reels are also pretty nice. You get what you pay for. It's that simple. I've had too many reels give way on big fish.

20. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know there are alot of you who use the abu reels and praise them. I have a two 5000 and a 6000 and had a 7000. All three were made in sweden. Maybe I just got three bad reels, all different models. Used a new 5000 today for the second time catching bait. Screems like crazy when casting. While I admit its been cast a thousand times it shouldn't sound like its coming apart. My other 5000 does the same thing and always has even after cleaning and greasing. The 6000 does the same and the bait alarm works, barely. The 7000 didn't make the noise but did not cast as well as other reels and the bait alarm stopped working after 1 month and maybe 4 uses. The only plastic gears in mine are the gears that work the line guide. I too think they are second class reels. The older ones may have been better not sure as mine are all fairly new.