ambassador worm gears

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by dinkbuster1, Jan 14, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have 2 abu 6500's that ive had for 15 years now and about every 2 years on average i have to replace the worm gears ($15 each!). i also own a 5600 that i have to replace the worm gear in regularly also. the gears get a tiny chip knocked off on the end which causes the guide to stay there and not move back and forth unless you give it a push. does anyone else have this problem, and/or if so what can i do to keep this from happening!

2. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I had a semilar problem and put new pawl's in and it took care of the problem, My reels are 7000 abu Garcia's....I was giving them a cleaning awhile back and lost the bearing retainer clip, I found a place that sell's them , the clip sell's for $.75 cent's and the shipping is $8.00 dollar's ...I guess I will wait and hopfully get one some where else...

3. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I must not be fishing enough, because I have never relaced a gear on my abu's! Is the worm gear the one that goes under the pawl? I do hope to add bearings to some of my abu's which have bushings. I use mine for snagging in the spring and spend hours casting and retrieving with heavy weights and heavy fish, but have not had any failure (except that the drag on 5500's have trouble holding the bigger fish in current and I have burned my thumbs trying to assist the drag. Using 80lb wire and the reel gears seem to take it fine. So, I hope to fish more this year a wear out a gear!!! Hannibal Mike

4. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Dink, Canepole right, just replace the pawl and you ought to be alright. I've had my 7000 4 yrs. and the only thing I've had to replace is the pawl...

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sometimes i've had to replace the pawl too. most often not though. it is the worm gear causing the problem, you can clean it off and see the chip. today i went over the reels and i think i really need to clean the reels more often. im thinking it might be caused by the dirt buildup at the ends of the guide bar, guide wont go over all the way because of the dirt/sand and causes the pawl to chip that fine point on the worm gear.

6. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Wow - I've used Abus amost exclusively for 20 years and have never had a problem like that. The levelwind pawl requires replacing periodically, but that's the extent of it.

You're right, it might be caused by dirt. Keep those babies nice and clean & lubed - they'll serve you well for a long long time.
    /Scott

7. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Dinkbuster,
    Definately replace the worm gear if it has a chip in it. It will cause the pawl to wear excessively causing your problem. A good cleaning would help also to keep the pawl from wearing to fast. Unless the worm gear is damaged (which you say your's has a chip) usually a good cleaning and placing a shim under the pawl solves the problem. Ambassaduers used to come with a spare parts kit in which it placed a couple of extra pawl shims. If you don't have any then they can be made easily from light sheet stock, or in a pinch some tin foil.:)

Frank

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Clean those bad boys,and give them a good oil bath.I clean as often as possible.As far as just wearing one out,I never have,but I can see where you could ,mar one or chip it.All it takes it to backlash one and get line between the pawn and the sideplate and a little un-noticed force with the handles and its ruin.Never wind anything up between the pawn and where the gear touches the sideplate.Other than that cleaning is the #1 key

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    dink, i have a re2 abu that does the same thing. every year new worn gear and paw. must be out of alignment or something. have you tried contacting abu about the problem, they just mite send you a new one. mine has lived in a box in the garage for a few years now.lol

10. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    If that thing gets lonely out there and needs a new home let me know and I'll send you it's new address.I'll make it a happy home bro:) :) :)