Ambassador 6000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BigTattoo, Nov 9, 2005.

1. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Okay. I can guarantee that everyone is going to think that this is a stupid question, so bear with me. I read around on the forum, and I saw that people were talking about Ambassador 6000's. I've searched around the web to see one and read the specs. I can't seem to find it. Does it exist, or are people talking about a 6500 when they say 6000. If they do have a 6000, does it have a bait clicker?

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's a few pics of a 6000 with a baitclicker. :0a26:

Attached Files:

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I think I saw that picture on E-Bay!!! I've got two, and they are absolutely wonderful reels.

Ray

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I currently have 5 of them, but I think I've had a total of ten of them. I like them just as good as my Abu 6500's.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have a few of the 6000's and 6500's. Those are great reels and are tough. I have had several large flats and blues with them and no problems. I have them spooled up with Power Pro on 7' Quantum Big Cat Rods(heavy).

6. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Now those were fast replies! So can anyone tell where to find them, and are they still made or do I have to find one used?

Thanks
    BigTattoo

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ON Ebay a guy who owns a store called "Omaha Fishing Supply" sells them. I usually get mine for as low as $27! Yes, $27. Before him, I used to always get them from Walmart.

8. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I got mine at Wal Mart seems like they were around $60. I thought the 6500 had the heavy duty Single knob handle.

9. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all great help. I'am still searching for them are the 6000's the smallest with bait clickers? I havent seen any 5500's with bait clickers.

Thanks
    BigTattoo

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Tattoo, I think you are right about the 6000 being the smallest abu with a baitclicker. What are you going to use it for? I've been fishing with a couple of them for a few years, but they are a little light duty for a cat much over 30 pounds. (just my opinion) The reason that I say this is they don't hold enough of a large diameter line for several big runs, especially if you are casting far and the water is deep. The other reason that I say this is that the drags on the ones that I've been using doesn't seem to have enough Ummph to really horse those hogs. Vern

11. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana

Vern, Almost all of the catfish that I catch are what I call eaters :). With the bait size that I use dont think I'll hook anyting that will over power the 6000.
    Also the biggest line I use is 25 pound Big Game.

Thanks
    BigTattoo

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Big Tattoo, the 6000 ABU should hand any fish up to 25 or 30lb spooled with that size line. Although the 40lb blue cat and the 30 lb flathead that I caught today were caught on a 2 inch threadfin shad. So small bait doesn't always mean small fish. I'm not trying to talk you out of the ABU, I love them myself. Although for the same money you can buy a 309 Penn. Good luck. Vern

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I did a search for this place and found nothing but ill keep looking thats pretty cheep

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    found it its co.

15. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Abu makes a 5000CA which has a clicker.I bought 2 of them off e-bay last year and sold them again.Super nice reels but small line cap.There newer model reels,gun metal gray.They also make a 6000CA model. :D

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I own two 6000's they are spooled with 20lb line and are set out with big bait right along side my bigger reels. I have caught flatheads in the 40's on these two reels and they performed great. If you go much over 20lb mono, line capacity might be a problem. The 6000 is the same size and line capacity of a 6500, they are the smallest abu's that I would put 20lb line on. Because of the narrower spool on a 5000, loaded 20lb line and on a 7ft rod I can cast most of the line off the reel. Now Vern is right you can't just horse a big cat in with them, but let the drag do it's job and the reel will handle a big fish.

17. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    The 7000 is the one with the single knob handle..I have a 6000 but i mainly use 6500 c3...I dont find a whole lot of difference with them though. I had a 7000 and i have 2 6500c4's which are my favorite.

18. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana

Okay. Let me get this straight. The 6000 and the 6500 is the same physical size. I haven't seen a 6000 in person. I just assumed that it was smaller than the 6500. Now, if I remember correctly, the 6500 is physically smaller than the 7000. Correct? I wish I could just go to the store and hold them all in my hand at the same time, but then again, I'd probably end up bringing them all home. I was fishing with a 5500 before, and the line capacity wasn't quite enough. The drag was actually fine for everything that I caught on it. That's why I want to upgrade for more line capacity and for the bait clicker. I just don't want a big, huge reel.

Man, I've just got to say, this site definitely does what it's supposed to do. The replies and answers I've received were straight to the point. I guess that's why I just can't stop coming here. Great site, great people, great info, very timely.

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    KS.... He has a reconditioned 6500c3 for $32 right now.

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes the 6000 and 6500 are the same size..Only difference is the 6000 has bushings, and the 6500 has bearings..I dont notice much if any difference in the preformance of the reel.
    In fact I like the 6000's better because they are red :D