Ambassador 5000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bootshowl, Feb 8, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Was at Wally World the other day and they had Ambassador 5000's in a clam pack for $50. Have not seen any posts on these. They looked to be of adequate size. Anyone using these? All the other models were boxed and in the $90-$100 range.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Fifty dollars seems to be the high end of the stick to me. I know you can buy new ones on e-bay for less that $40.00 and if your on the ball, that would include the shipping also.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    New to baitcasters. Looked and saw that the 5000 is what made Ambassadeur so popular.....are they better than the Penn 209 say?
    Any of them still in service out there? I'm a poor boy & thrift shopping for the next season. So far have a Penn Peerless No. 9, and two Penn 85's. I've seen lots of posts for the 209, PeeWee got me straight on the 85's
    which I anticipate being hard for me to learn.....wondered if being a beginner it would be better for me to shift focus from Penn to ABU.
    (Are Ambassadeur and ABU same thing?) The rods I will buy new, the Berkley Big Game & Ugly sticks are affordable. The reels will have to be used I think. I lost two fish last year because the rod reel sets I was using just didn't have enough backbone. I've seen the reports on 30#'s caught on 202's....darned if I can see how. But I'm worried that if I have too much trouble learning baitcasters, will just give up. Better reels make better odds of me learning?

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Both penn and Abu Garcia Make fine products, I Myself prefer Abu's (YES ABU is the same) I feel the Abu's are a smoother casting reel and perhaps would be easier to learn with.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Abu stands for Abu Garcia, I use a Abu 5000 for bass fishing.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe there are articles in the library about learning how to use a bait casting reel. The thing is you have to learn to stagger before you walk, and to walk before you run. Take a bait caster, make the adjustments on it as it says in the library, and start by just throwing 20' and use your thumb to control the back lashes/bird nests. After 20 or 30 good throws at 20', set you a mark at 40
    feet and practice with it. Then 60 feet, and etc until you are using the full whip motion of the rod to cast the weight. Every time you change the weight of the lure (bigger sinker, bigger piece of bait, smaller sinker, smaller piece of bait) you need to readjust the reel. When you get experienced, you don't need to make that many reel adjustments as your thumb sort of gets educated. After a while, throwing a bait caster becomes just as easy as using a spinning reel or a spin cast reel. The key is practice.

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have a 30+ year old 5000 that works great. I guess that does not mean that newer 5000's are the same stuff....guess someone with a newer one should chime in.

I recieved my reel from my terminally ill uncle. He used to fish every weekend, mostly chasin largemouth and stripers, but he did quite a bit of cattin too. I'm sure my rig could tell some stories if it could talk. I know he landed a 22lb striper on it without a problem.

Practice is key, using CHEAP line for starters is a good idea and having a sharp blade to cut out the bad bird's nests is not a bad idea either.