Ambassadeur Vs. Penn

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by VaFisherMan, Apr 6, 2009.

1. VaFisherMan

VaFisherMan New Member

State:
    virginia
    Has anyone in here used both the Penn 320GT2 and the Ambassadeur c3 6500? If so which do you think is better and a better buy? Thanks for any advice or insight.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Sure do. I have 6 320 GT2's on MH Tigers, and a 6500 C3 (Black Cat) on a H Tiger Lite.

I would try to match up the reel to the rod and vice versa. I wouldn't put my Abu on the MH Tiger, and I wouldn't put my Penn on my Tiger Lite. They just wouldn't feel right.

If you're after the really big blues in the river, I would go with the Penn's. They are powerful tanks. Not as smooth or refined or long casting as the Abu, but I'd say better for the big fish. Plus the Penn's are alot cheaper.

You might want to consider the 7000 class ABU as being more comparable with the 320GT2.

3. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i agree with josh. you need the 7000 series of abu's for the big blues and also to handle the shock of slinging those 10 oz. sinkers. i have the 7000's and have been very happy with them but i also pulled in my personal best blue at 56 lbs on one of josh's penns:smile2:

4. VaFisherMan

VaFisherMan New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks for the input. I actually have a 6500 on a MH Tiger now and I was looking at the Penns at a store and it looked like it would fit that rod better, that's why I was asking. The 6500 just seems too small on that rod. So, with the 7000s and 320GT2s being more comparable, would y'all choose the Penns? It is nice that they're cheaper but would it be worth the extra money to get the 7000? Just looking for opinions so I can make the best choice, thanks again.

5. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I like the ABU better.Little bit more Money but they are smooth'

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
  7. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The Abu cast a little better. But the Penn is a workhorse that will winch anything in. Also the Abu has a faster retrieve.

8. cdf1961

cdf1961 New Member

State:
    va
    I don't see many on the river, but all my setups are shimano charter specials. They cast well and have the power of the penns.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    When are they gonna make a PeenAbu reel so we don't have to have this debate anymore, LOL.

I'm a Abu guy myself. I use other peoples Penn's but I would much rather the fish hit the Abu's....just my opinion.

The 40# in my avatar was pull in with the 6500 and he had no chance what-so-ever. My favorite reel is the Big Game7000i-HSN, its size is between the 6500 and the 7000. Just write down your needs and then look between the two brands. Both great reels, I just prefer the smooth running Abu's.

10. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I use Abu 6500s on my 8' Cabelas King Kat rods...perfect match up. I've used Abu's for over 40 years...I even have some of the original ones I bought way back then and they still work. BTW...the fish don't care what reel they are caught on.

Tight lines.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have both reels and agree with all of the above statements. Choose the reel that matches the type of fish and conditions you are going to fish.