Ambassadeur USA5000c problems.

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by motard1, Nov 13, 2008.

1. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have an older Ambasadeur USA5000c. The level wind is getting stuck on the left side while reeling. I can give it a push and it works fine. How do I fix it? I don't wanna spend alot of money. If I have to,I'll buy a new reel. I like this reel,so I wanna try to save it.

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It is either the pawl or worm that is bad could be both.
    Jake

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I wpuld invest $4.00 in a new pawl. Thats probably 90% of the problems with a level wind. I have a 5000 I bought in 1963 and still fish with it today -just not as much as with the 6000's and 7000's. Incidentally, you can get the pawl and some worm gears at your friendly Academy's.

4. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    a new line pawl should take care of your problem. the worm gear is made of a harder metal and will wear out the pawl. replace it and clean and oil the worm gear and you should be good as new.

Joe

5. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Mo there used to be a Garcia service center off of Mockingbird and Irving Blvd in Dallas. I don't know if it is still there, but they used to refurbish Ambassadeur reels very reasonably. I had one done back in 1991, and I think it cost me $15 at that time. I know the price has probably gone up, but if they are still there it would be worth checking into.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    A lot of times if you'll just take the cap that holds the pawl in off and the pawl out and clean the accumulated crud out of there and give it a drop of oil that will take care of it.

Also, look very closely at the worm gear on the side where it's hanging up - I had one that got a ding in the point of one of the "islands" on the worm gear and it would hang at that spot. Doesn't take much so you have to look it over really good to spot it if that's the case.