Ambassadeur Royal Problem Casting Control

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by bassstrat, Mar 23, 2009.

1. bassstrat

bassstrat New Member

State:
    s.c.
    I have a old Ambassadeur Royal(I think) that has a problem with the casting control.When I tighten the casting control cap to prevent backlash it`s to tight to cast.If I loosen the cap enough to get any casting distance it is to loose and will backlash.I guess you could say there does`nt seem to be much adjustment,it just goes from to tight to too loose.Anyone have any suggestions on what to try? Thansk, Bassstrat...

2. OkieHenry

OkieHenry New Member

State:
    Hulbert, Oklahoma
    Check for burs on the axle, also check the little brass square spacer inside the cap to see if its got a hole wore thru it, or if its scuffed up.

another thing that might work is if you casting around 20 yards, pull out 20 yards of line and put a peice of tape across the spool then reel your line back up, that way when it back lashes it only backlashes the first 20 yards. you don't half to cut all the line off to get the back lash out

let me know, if its the axle you can sand the bur off, if its the litttle square brass spacer I think I've got one I can send you.

3. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    You can try a heavier lube on the bushings/bearings. Try some 90 wt oil in there. It will slow down / control the spool and help keep it from backlashing. It won't hurt your casting distance noticably.

Check those brass shims as well, if they're worn you'll lose spool control.

4. bassstrat

bassstrat New Member

State:
    s.c.
    I did change one brass shim,because it had a deep indention and was almost worn through.This seems to have helped some,but where would burs on the axle be? On the tip ends? Thanks, Bassstrat

5. OkieHenry

OkieHenry New Member

State:
    Hulbert, Oklahoma
    Yes, if you run your fingers down the axle from the spool off the end,if it has bur's you'll feel them, there useally about here (pictured below).
    If it sas burs I use 400 grit to take them off then XXX fine steal wool to lightly buff the axle after the burs are removed.

DSCF0951.jpg

6. bassstrat

bassstrat New Member

State:
    s.c.
    Thanks! I`ll check it out! One other question was,would it hurt to add another brass shim inside the control cap? It has two,but still seems that I have to really tighten the cap super tight to get much control. After thinking about it,that may be why there was a deep depression in the old shim I replaced? Thanks, again, Bassstrat

7. OkieHenry

OkieHenry New Member

State:
    Hulbert, Oklahoma
    I've tore reels apart thats had 4 bushings and was working fine so I would say yes you could probley add up to 2 more if you have the clearance between your cap and the drag nut.

8. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Another place to look at would be the 0-ring, on the cap boss. Over time, it shrinks, and the end cap walks around a lot. It's a 1.50 part.

If it's bad, and until you replace it, you can use a dental pick/fat needle to remove it, and build up the groove with some 2 pound test mono. Re-insert the old 0-ring, and it will work till you get a new one.

Careful you don't break it...once in a while, they get so brittle any stretching motion finishes them off.

If you are shy on shims, you can make some from a soda pop or beer, can. The aluminum ones go in first, so the bronze ones play on the axle.

9. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Oops.. ran out of edit time.... something seems awry here.... according to the schematics I checked on line, the Royal is an ultra cast type reel....is this so, or is yours a fixed axle type? If it's ultracast, is the little black plastic "puck" inside the end cap?, or just shims?