ambassadeur malfunction question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by massa_jorge, May 21, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey yall i have an ambassadeur 6500 d5 and a 5000 that both messed up on me on the same trip. the line guide (pawl?) hangs up on the bar it is sitting on and causes the line to reel in the exact same spot, causing some serious bird's nest issues. what is causing this? is the pawl worn out? how can i fix it? thanks!

2. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    The pawl is worn out, replace it and you should be good to go.

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ditto. clean it up real good when you take it apart to fix it. the pawls wear out usually because of dirt in the worm gear. which is exposed. noone ever oils them between cleanings as they should. there is actually an oil hole on the back side of the pawl cap. a couple drops of lightweight oil really helps them last longer. they also make ceramic pawls now too! an awesome upgrade, but they have to be kept oiled....

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I wouldnt replace just the pawl. Replace the worm gear at the same time because a worn worm gear shortens the life of a pawl.

Hit that gear with a little oil every outing and they'll last a long time.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i disassembled them and cleaned them last night. the d5 or ds or whatever the model is (the brass one) the pawl will move now, but not under pressure. i got it out and it definitely looks worn to hell. on the 5000 i got the pawl out and cleaned the heck out of it, the pawl didn't look bad at all. after reassembling it, it turns everything fine, even under pressure.

now, let me get everything just right in terms of terminology... the 'worm gear' is the long piece inside the bar with all the notches on it, right? and the 'pawl' is the little piece inside the base of the line guide that the end fits inside the worm gear that moves left and right as you reel? i always had buddies fix mine, but want to do it for myself, just not quite sure what everything is. thanks a lot yall for all your help!

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You got the parts names correct

Replace the pawl. This part is designed to fail and be the weakest part on the reel. That way you do not screw up any other part of the reel. Yes the warm gear could be worn but I find that it's more libel to get worn when the pawl goes unchanged. But yeah it's a 3 dollar part there's a reason why it's so cheap.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I carry extra pawls in my tackle box, and have changed them on the water. it can be a real trip saver. I just hate to be down a rod & reel to a $3 part. buy extra ones.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with the above posts. I always carry extra worm gears and pawls in the tackle bag. If you catch it as soon as it messes up you can usually get away with just replacing the pawl but if you keep cranking then as Mark said replace them both. Have them with you and it's about a 3 minute repair and your back fishing.

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio

Here is a link to abu so you can see your reel schematic and order parts from. http://www.abugarcia.com/product_schematic.php?id=226.228