Ambassadeur Fishing Reel old or new? China made or Sweden Made?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by OkieHenry, Apr 4, 2009.

Ambassadeur Old or New ?

1. Old made in Sweden

2. New made in China

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. OkieHenry

OkieHenry New Member

State:
    Hulbert, Oklahoma
    I wanted to know what everyone preferance old made in Sweden Ambassadeur's or the new made in China Ambassadeur's?
    and why?

Me I like the old Ambassadeur's, there almost indestructable, I've seen to many of the new abu's with bent covers, and the new ones make grinding noises when you throw them out.

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    like you said, the old are better, but, I have 2 of the newer asian models, they are still better than some of the other choices out there. The Sweedish models are still available at 3x the price.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Larry is right you can still get the sweed modle and thats my pic
    and Larry i agree with the aisen ones being better than a lot of uthers like tonight i was at wally world thay got the asen ones i tinkerd with it a bit feels pretty good a shakespear caut my eye and i was comparring theam hands down abu feels the best so my vote is for abu

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    depends on the model i have a big game 9000i that seems just as good but messing with the bcx at walmart it seems chepend.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anytime you can find the old Made in Sweden, scoop them up. Great smooth technology. I try not to buy anything from china. They take to many shortcuts.

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Made in Sweden new or old is what I like on the abus. The only exception is the 7000's I have they say assembled in Sweden, I assume the parts were made in china.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I agree with the made in Sweden. Guess because they are what I've used for 35 yrs. and hate the thoughts of having to change.

8. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    we like the old made in Sweden,they are much stronger in the gears, they are made with a lot more craftsmanship. We have researched the difference and found the china ones arent near as tough, Good luck, we use the 5000 series and up,I guess the poll says it all :smile2:

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    YES!!! I'm the only one that chose the NEW made in China Abu's. Why because the drag's are so way more advanced and better out of the box then the old Abu's. I have the old ones and i can't stand them for catfishing. Guess thats why I switched to Shimano Tekot's before Abu started putting the better drag system in. Yes a person could upgrade the drag but when I fork over my money for something. I don't want to have to start changing out parts with after market parts before I start using the reel.

Fate and Novamega like this.
  10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i haven't even tried any of the asia models. i've only used those made in sweden and they have all led long, productive lives.

11. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    My Abu, old, is made in sweeden. Likewise my Penn, old, is made in the US. :smile2:
    All my junky ones, Shakespeares, are made in China.

12. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    All of mine are the old ones. Take care of them and they will last a life time.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Well I gotta tell ya. I have had 6500s for 25 years. I got a new 7000ic3 (Made IN China) two years ago and it does not make grinding noises at any time! It is the smoothest most powerful reel I have. It cast wonderfully and the drag operates perfectly. I can dent the side of any abu made, that doesn't say anything about the quality of the reel. lol

14. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think the new carbon matrix drag was put in reels starting a couple seasons ago (before the china made ones)... I only have one Abu and it was made in sweeden and a very nice reel.

Shawn

15. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have used nothing but ABUS for 30 years. And requardless where they are made I will still use them. But I prefer the swedish models. I have 2- 5500's that I have used for cattin' , bassin', wallys, stripers, you name it. I Have had these since the mid seventies, and they still work good as the day I bought them. Keep em maintained and they will last a lifetime. I have several 6500s and a couple 7000s. Two of the 65s are asian products, no problems yet. I have tried the BPS Mega Cast reels, have had them a couple seasons now with no problems. For $29 bucks they are AOK. I have wanted to try out an Okuma to see if I would like them, but----If I buy another rod or reel, I will get THE LOOK :confused2: from my wife. Bless her little heart!

16. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Henry, you know me, I'd rather have the older ones than the newer ones. As you know, the only advantage of the newer ones is the new drags, which you can also buy and retrofit to the older ones as well.

By the way, I was at the dam Wed. night and didn't see ya. It was my first trip of the spring and started it out with a 20lb blue! Hope the rest of the season is like that, LOL!

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have both and cant tell any differance...I believe the 6500's on down are still made in sweden.

Either way I think they are all great reels.

with one exception, the 6600 bcx reels seem to be junk.

I do believe the Chinese are smart enough to put a reel together

18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
  19. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I prefer the old Abu bait casters made in Sweden. I have 5,000's and up and they cast alot smoother and farther than a brand new Abu that I purchased at Walmart. I say the old ones out perform the new ones by 110%. can pull in a 40lb. flathead with no problem at all with the old Abu 5,000

20. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have 5 Garcia 7000 left hand reels mounted on Ugly Stick Tiger rods. Two of them the nuts for the rod clamp were not tapped and I had to tap them myself rather than waste the time and expense of sending them back. If you are buying any and can look at them before purchase you might check the nuts, the long ones thay hold the bottom of the clamp on. Other than that I am satisified.