Ambassadeur baitcaster, help please!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by LadyValea1, Sep 25, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hi, I've a bit of a problem.. I'm using my Ambassadeur 5600cl rocket on a 6' medium action. Whuppin stick from Cabelas.. I put 10lb mono line and I used it with a spinnerbait. my problem is I get wicked birds nest...I adjust the brake and drag but I still get a lot of birds nest. But, if I use a heavy 1oz weight and I toss it out far!! "no Bird nest" in fact I can use this reel on my 7' catpole with 20lb line and can cast 50 feet with out any problems.. But move it on 10lb line and bass lures ...I've got problems.
    Is something wrong with the bass set-up? should I use lighter line? less line? longer or shorter pole? I just want to toss the bass line out about 10 feet of so.. help please... Thanks:big_smile:

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    The thing I have learned with a baitcaster for tossin light lures is practice, practice, practice.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The line weight isn't the major problem. A 5500 will cast 10 wt line. But, light weights can be a problem. Do you know what weight the lure is that you are casting? Under 3/8 oz, neither the reel or rod you have are the best. Usually, I have difficulty with anything under 1/4 oz with my Abu's. Best results are with lures over 1/2 oz. With any lure fishing with an Abu, it takes practice at the weight you want to toss, or experience on the water. As for line weight, my preference on Abu baitcasters is for 12 lbs and above. For 10 lb test, I prefer my spinning reels. Also for lure weights below 3/8 oz.

4. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I agree, anytime I go to lighter tackl, I use a spinning rod.:cool2:

5. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Tina, are you ready to sell that e-bay reel yet? hehehe

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Tina, think it is the rod...not for sure. Look on the rod about 6 or 8 inches above the handle. They usually mark the rod for the line and lure weight the rods designed for. You should be inside those specs. Think after you have a few hundred thousand casts you'll be able to handle anything...even throwing your spinner from a broom stick. Just have to practice at first.

7. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hi there, lady I use 14lb test stren and try to use nothing lighter than 1/4 oz spinnerbait . The heavier ones are best . Try to over tighten the tension adjuster a bit and practice. Main thing is to practice ,practice ,practice. Also if your are not real good yet ,do not cast into the wind. Good luck on your casting and catching .:cool2:

8. CATDUDE

CATDUDE New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hi...theirs prolly nothing wrong with your set up except you may want to switch back to your 20# line. Then you need to learn how to flip and/or pitch your baits. To learn these techniques go to google and search for...."how to flip and pitch" then click on the very first link on the first page. These techniques are used for short accurate casts. If you happen to be fishing out of a boat that does not have a raised deck these casts will be alot harder to do cuz your bait will hit the boat. Raised deck or standing on dock or shoreline? then you should have no problem once you master it.

Just a couple tips....dont expect a 10 or more foot cast right off the bat. Shoot for a couple of feet then progress from there. Once you start to get the hang of it set some bowls in the yard at a desired casting distance and try to flip or pitch into the bowls. When you can consistantly land your bait in the bowl your ready to fine tune your technique. Fill the bowls with water and practice landing your bait as quietly as possible with as little of an entry splash as possible.

I know how retarded that last part may sound, (quietly/no splash!) and theirs no way i can describe how to do it, but youll understand once you get going. If for some reason you do not find the link im talking about let me know. Ill type it out if i have to. I would have copied and pasted it here but that website would not allow me to. Have fun.....

9. CATDUDE

CATDUDE New Member

State:
    illinois
    I misread your post...i thought you were using 7' rods for bassin. Most peaple prefer 7' to 8' rods for flipin and pitchen. Its prolly easier with the longer rods. I on the other hand prefer 6 to 6'.6" rods and i can still flip'em. It just takes a little more elbow grease...Good luck.