Ambassadeur baitcaster, help please!!! can't get lighter line out!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LadyValea1, Sep 25, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hi, I've a bit of a problem..I posted this in the Bass fishing section...But maybe the catfisherpeople can help me... I'm using my Ambassadeur 5600cl rocket on a 6' medium action. Whuppin stick from Cabelas.. I put 10lb mono line and I used it with a spinnerbait. my problem is I get wicked birds nest...I adjust the brake and drag but I still get a lot of birds nest. But, if I use a heavy 1oz weight and I toss it out far!! "no Bird nest" in fact I can use this reel on my 7' catpole with 20lb line and can cast 50 feet with out any problems.. But move it on 10lb line and bass lures ...I've got problems.
    Is something wrong with the bass set-up? should I use lighter line? less line? longer or shorter pole? I just want to toss the bass line out about 10 feet of so.. help please... Thanks

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Lighter stuff is ALWAYS harder to cast. I don't know what advice to give you on casting light stuff on a baitcaster, I have a Abu 5500 and had trouble casting Bass lures, just kept practicing in the yard and finally got the hang of it. I still don't like baitcasters for Bass Fishing, I went to Spinning reels for Bass and stuff like that and it works much, much better.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been using abu baitcasters for years, and if I tried to cast a bass lure I would also get a birdsnest..Thats why I usually have a 4-0z sinker at least on:big_smile:

4. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    That is so true... but I like to use crank baits spinner baits and a bunch of lures... but major mess!!

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    14 lb test is bout the smallest i can cast easily, you can try a little bit larger line but first set the spool so that the lure will slowly fall to the ground with out back lashing without you putting your thumb on the spool, then tighten just a hair more and when you cast keep very light pressure on the spool so you can stop it before it backlashes.

6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Adjusting the reel spool brake to the weight your casting is critical. I still have problems throwing bass plugs with my Penn 904 or my Abu 6000. The process of education of the thumb is a difficult process. Back in the day when bait casting rods were all we had you learned or you picked out bird's nests. I remember throwing an old Western Auto bait caster in the pond reel and all one afternoon. I caught it the next night cat fishing with a Carolina rig.

LOL

Today I use baitcasters for 2 oz and heavier rigs and I use a light spinning rod for bass fishing, Zebco 33's for bluegill.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Round baitcasters are not, design for light lures or light line. It just wont work right, u need a low profile reel for that. heavy weights and Lures are ur best otion!

8. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I have an ambassador 5500c and when using light tackle I sometimes have to let my thumb slightly ride the spool to insure that it dont free spin too much.

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Opinion

Sounds like you do well casting what you are used to.

If one were to use sturdy rod holders one would not have to lose any rods.

:wink:

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I used to ba$$ fish all the time and I still use my abu 4500,5000 and 5500C and can cast the 10 lb line with light lures and spinners. You have to adjust the tention on your spool every time you change lures and you do that by tightening the knob on the left side of your reel then press the button like you're going to cast than loosen the tention knob until your lure slowly pulls line from your reel now you can cast without using your thumb until the lure hits the water. Back lashes are caused by the reel spool turning faster then the line is coming off so you want a little tention on it so the lure or whatever you're casting has to pull the line off the reel until you get used to casting and then you can start lightening the tention on the spool to get longer casts. I have convidence you can do it with a little practice.